Dry needling, ART certification as PA- Incentive for hire?

Would an orthopod find benefit in bringing on a PA that could bring the options of dry needling and Active Release Therapy to their office? I can see the benefit in this as patient that were not immediate candidates for surgery could continue to be patients and bring in income but I can also see this being a disadvantage in that it would potentially decrease the surgery cases.

On a side note: is this even legal?

Would an orthopod find benefit in bringing on a PA that could bring the options of dry needling and Active Release Therapy to their office? I can see the benefit in this as patient that were not immediate candidates for surgery could continue to be patients and bring in income but I can also see this being a disadvantage in that it would potentially decrease the surgery cases.

On a side note: is this even legal?

If you are a chiropractic and working as such with an orthopedic office as a Licensed DC, then ART would be legal and very much contributive to orthopedic eval and treatment.. Just as PT and massage therapy is.. But, you would have to work under your DC license, AND have your own malpractice.. The orthopedist will not be able to cover you as is outside of his qualifications.

Same for dry needling... Again, an acupuncture like process best classified as adjunctive therapy.. And best done ad insured by licensed practitioners in that art.. If your state allows you to do it.

Both are Very much more a part of PT than Ortho eval and tx.

If you are a chiropractic and working as such with an orthopedic office as a Licensed DC, then ART would be legal and very much contributive to orthopedic eval and treatment.. Just as PT and massage therapy is.. But, you would have to work under your DC license, AND have your own malpractice.. The orthopedist will not be able to cover you as is outside of his qualifications.

Same for dry needling... Again, an acupuncture like process best classified as adjunctive therapy.. And best done ad insured by licensed practitioners in that art.. If your state allows you to do it.

Both are Very much more a part of PT than Ortho eval and tx.

Dry Needling is a "newer" modality for the treatment of various pains attributed to myofascial trigger points. I am not the best at giving the history and science of this but I will do my best to give you a quick summary. Dry needling is very similar to acupuncture in its essence however with dry needling the practitioner targets a specific trigger point as opposed to acupuncture's use of the meridians. Do a google search for the physician Karel Lewit. He is the first to introduce this concept of "Dry Needling".

Here is a link to a website with many articles and studies related to this practice:

http://dryneedlinginstitute.com/articles.html

Dry Needling is a "newer" modality for the treatment of various pains attributed to myofascial trigger points. I am not the best at giving the history and science of this but I will do my best to give you a quick summary. Dry needling is very similar to acupuncture in its essence however with dry needling the practitioner targets a specific trigger point as opposed to acupuncture's use of the meridians. Do a google search for the physician Karel Lewit. He is the first to introduce this concept of "Dry Needling".

Here is a link to a website with many articles and studies related to this practice:

http://dryneedlinginstitute.com/articles.html

Dry Needling training is open to any PA for training by virtue of their scope of practice and will apply well if you treating patients for musculoskeletal condtions. Voltage can be a very irritating experience to many patients and more importantly not required for a good outcome. The less stress to the system the better is my approach to teaching and practicing this modality. Can have greater utility than injection in many cases because there is no toxicity and can therefore be performed very frequently and is shown to be equivalent to injection with an agent.

Dry Needling training is open to any PA for training by virtue of their scope of practice and will apply well if you treating patients for musculoskeletal condtions. Voltage can be a very irritating experience to many patients and more importantly not required for a good outcome. The less stress to the system the better is my approach to teaching and practicing this modality. Can have greater utility than injection in many cases because there is no toxicity and can therefore be performed very frequently and is shown to be equivalent to injection with an agent.

Archived