microbiology

I was recently accepted to a PA program which does not have any limits on how old pre requisites courses need to be. I have not had microbiology for a long time. Is there a lot of knowledge to draw upon in PA classes from microbiology. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Not at all.

In fact I'd say I have never really used micro and am almost done with the didactic portion of my program.

You will learn the most common bugs to cause various diseases (eg most common type of pneumonia in alcoholics, most common type of bug in sepsis, etc etc) but don't need any micro knowledge.

You're totally fine!

I would say it definitely depends on the program. My program covers micro in a lot of depth and it is a semester-long course. That's not to say that you couldn't learn it just in PA school (in fact my guess is that most people only have a very basic understanding of microbiology coming in because my program actually does not even require micro as a prerequisite). I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you were looking to brush up on something, I would focus more on other topics like physiology, anatomy, pathophysiology, pharm, etc.

Archived