Phlebotomy (CPT) Certification : medical training center VS community college

So I am about to apply for phlebotomy technician certification courses.

My options are as follows:

Accredited NYS training program :

Duration: 36 hours in 5 weeks

Cost: $550

Community College training program:

Duration: 45 hours in 10 weeks

Cost: $300

When applying for jobs as a CPT, would by certification look better if it came from the training program? Would "Community college certifications" lessen my chances of being hired?

I have no problem paying the extra money for the NYS training program. I just want to make sure that a CC certification is not looked down upon compared to the , more "professional"(?) training at the NYS facility.

What should I do?

Will taking the training at the NYS place vs community college make a difference? Will the hiring be looked at differently?

I live in New York

Thank you

I'm not from New York, but my impression is that it would not matter. Most people I know who have done other health care certifications (e.g. CNA or EMT-B) did so through a community college and they were able to find opportunities. I would weigh the importance of cost vs. time to completion to make the decision.

I recently completed a community college phlebotomy course in PA. I was offerred several interviews and got a job just a few weeks after completion. The community college that I went to was actually well respected by the interviewers. There are many people in the field who went to community college and it did not seem to be looked down upon at all.

certification is a certification. I'm about to do a course, through a community college instead of a private vocation school. Both of them ends up with me getting nationally certified anyway with the same test. I'm not sure if NY has a certain certification or not like the ASCP or something though...

What matters is which certifying agency you go through. For example ASCP > NCCT. Also where you do your clinical roations are going to be the best bet for your first job because most employers want someone with 1-3 years of experience. As to which program to attend, choose a program that's going to give you heavy exposure to blood draws. The place I went through in CA had us do nearly 300 VPs during our 2 week clinical portion where as others I met only had the bare minimum of 50 and took them a while to hit that number.

Your certification does not come from the program. It comes from the agency certifying your credentials (e.g. ASCP). You cannot put PBT after your name unless you have ASCP certification. All you get from the community college or other training agency is a certificate of completion, which really doesn't mean much, other than it qualifies you to sit for the exam for national/state certification.

Choose your program wisely. Most national certification agencies require a minimum number of classroom hours and a minimum number of unaided draws (e.g. 100). I got my certification through our local community college and was required to have 50 hours of classroom instruction plus 125 unaided draws, 10 capillary draws and 2 infant draws at a minimum to pass the class. This ensured that I was able to meet any national certification training requirements. It costs $135 to take the ASCP exam (plus $25 for the practice tests)

Alright thanks guys. Yeah, also figured out its the certification after the exam that matters.

By the way, the training is actually 55 hours at the training school.

The community college sets me up for the same exam, but with less training. Besides, I can't do weekends so I'm gonna have to go with the private training by default.

In this case, it's going to be training for the NYS National Certification Exam which will give me the NCE certification I believe.

Hey, I live in New York too! Would you mind letting me know which programs these are? I am interested in them as well. Thanks!

It's the NY Medical Career training institute. They have two locations, in Manhattan and Flushing, Queens. The Manhattan one is where I am going because it's closer, I like Manhattan better than Queens, and the training is more intensive for the same price (I just found out the 36 hrs is at Queens. Manhattan is 55 hours, meaning more hands on time for us for the same price but longer duration, they have Day, Night and Weekend schedules).

Here's the website:

THE SCHEDULES LISTED ARE FOR THE FLUSHING LOCATION, CALL THEM FOR THE MANHATTAN SCHEDULES.

http://www.nymedtraining.com/schedules_weekdays.php

Archived