Phlebotomy, HCE?

I am looking to get some hands on patient care, i was thinking about doing emt or phlebotomy. Its hard to do emt program since its all summer long and im busy with classes and work and in the fall and winter semesters it is even harder. I found out about phlebotomy as a possibility, and it seemed like it would be easier to fit in schedule to find job in. But then i heard from some people that phlebotomy doesnt count as HCE, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it does in fact count or if anyone got accepted with only phlebotomy HCE hours.

Thanks

It depends on the programs you're applying to and what their definition of HCE entails. The programs I want to apply to all specifically state that phlebotomy counts towards HCE. (They will not, however, count laboratory work, e.g. specimen processing, blood bank, microbiology, etc.)

I just finished a 2-semester phlebotomy certification course through my local college. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did my externship at one of the hospitals in the area and I was able to make some great contacts with the PAs who work in the ER. I did morning rounds and got such great hands-on experience with patients. It makes me feel confident that when I learn to do IV starts, I'll be able to hit the vein no problem :)

Check with your local college's Community Health Science or Allied Health Science programs and see if they offer an accredited course. I'm going to be taking the ASCP certification exam (as well as get my state license) in a few weeks. Always nice to add a credential to your resumé, especially when you're building one from the ground up. I don't know about your area, but around here, the waiting list for the EMT program is huge and there aren't many job opportunities once you've completed it. At least with the phlebotomy, there are plenty of hospitals & independent labs to work in.

Good luck to you!

Archived