crappy transcript from years ago, to address or not to address? that is the question

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to address bad grades from years ago in your personal statement. My transcripts are a tale of two students. I wasnt serious about school at all when I got out of high school in the 90's, and basically screwed around for three or four years off and on. Lots of W's and a few F's, C's D's However I went back to school in 2001 fully committed to my courses, and graduated in 2004 with a 3.5, also have a 4.0 in all my post baccalaureate. So on one hand my bad grades are a long time ago, 15 years ago, but I cant help but think that the admissions committee cringe when they see them, I know I do. Just trying to think how to put a positive spin on it, any suggestions? comments? thanks

Is the 3.5 cumulative - does it include all the bad grades from when you got out of high school? Maybe you can allude to it in your statement without wasting too much space addressing it directly. This was an issue I had when first applying also, my very first semester was horrid because I'd left school without officially withdrawing, and didn't go back until a few years later. In my statement I talked about the difficulties I had around that time, but didn't discuss the grades directly. I think the fact that you did well after going back speaks for itself. Good luck.

Archived