Suggestions on employment when there's career gaps

So after a long battle with trying to get the PANCE behind me, I've done it finally, thank goodness!!

I'm finding that bc I haven't practiced since May 2010 in a PA capacity, that getting in the door for interviews is going to be tough. People want experience, people will take a chance on a new grad bc they've just completed school and clinicals, but what about someone like me. I worked in the ED as a PA for 7 months (but that was in 2010), and I've been currently doing EMS for a year, while prepping for the boards.

Any suggestions on how I can look more appealing to recruiters and HR departments? Should I not be looking at hospitals? Am I going to be un-hireable because of the gap since practicing and such little time doing so when I actually did?

I'm a little bummed and was hoping somebody would have some suggestions.

Thanks!

Congratulations! You are now a PA-C! You did not waste the last two years -- you worked and you studied. You showed dogged determination to get through; some others might have given up. And your time in EMS is not a "gap" -- depending on the job your apply for, it could be relevant.

Step 1: The resume: Leave off the graduation date. You will need to add it later in an application, but why get yourself looked at funny when you are just a piece of paper? The whole truth comes when you are a flesh and blood person the interviewer has met?

Step 2: The interview. Be honest. Say that you had trouble with the test (you were young, you didn't feel prepared enough, whatever). You worked in EMS to keep your hand in. Now you are older and more mature and ready to work. Sell yourself.

I've spent way more time as an interviewer than an interviewee in my life. You are not damaged goods; go for it!

Guest Paula

EMS background and a recent new certified PA is an asset. I agree with UGoLong. There are a variety of opportunities.......you can be well suited for urgent care or ER with your background, or anything! So, put the resume out there and continue your EMS work until you get hired as a PA.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived