How to respond?

Hi all,

I recently sent my CV and cover letter to a prospective Ortho employer and was contacted by their Director of Operations via email stating, "Thank you so much for your interest in becoming part of our team. Please send me your salary expectations."

What is a good way to respond? I obviously don't feel comfortable throwing a figure out without knowing what type of work I'll be doing (OR vs. clinic or both), the hours, if I'd be on call, what the benefits are, etc. I just thought this wasn't a very tactful response from them. I'm a soon-to-be new graduate and don't have much experience with this type of stuff, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Before replying, I would do a Google search on PA Ortho salaries in your region. Is this a private group or an academic position? Some university salaries are public (search University of Michigan salaries as an example). Speak to your faculty, preceptors, etc....did you do a ortho rotation? It's also reasonable to reply with what you stated here, I.e., "..I'd like to learn more about the requirements of the position & what the benefit package includes before discussing salary expectations." Don't underestimate benefits...health, short & long term disability insurance, 3-6 wks vacation, cme monies & time off, matched 401k, etc. are WELL worth consideration. Finally, IMO, especially for a 1st job, the most important thing may be WHO you are working with (supervising physician) - even more than $. Perhaps tell them that. In the end, if they insist on it, give them a range, but indicate that money isn't your main priority. Even if it turns out to be a lousy offer & you don't take it - the experience in interviewing is invaluable.

Archived