Dermatology PA shadowing

I came across an opportunity to shadow a Dermatology PA in the Houston, Texas area. I have shadowed many physicians and am an ER scribe. However, I would like some advice on anyone who has shadowed a Derm PA before. What's it like? Any specific questions I should be trying to go into depth? I asked for a list of general cases the clinic comes across that way I can familiarize myself not with just the terminology but the main cases they see on a day to day bases. Appreciate any help!

I did my HCE in derm and I'd say most of what you will see is warts, cancers/pre-cancers, cancer screenings full of benign stuff, and acne! All those things I always thought would relevant in any field because the skin is the organ you can SEE! I'd ask about things you might see in all settings that may indicate other issues. The skin can tell you a lot about underlying problems with hormones, diabetes, autoimmune issues, vascular problems, etc. Also valuable to be able to pick out a little benign keratosis vs a malignancy, but you won't get that skill in one day. I'd also ask to watch simple procedures. A lot of derm techniques are for small biopsies and excisions, KOH and mite preps, stuff that will probably be relevant in other specialties. Just my 2 cents!

Archived