Interview for Hospitalist PA

Fellow Hospitalist PAs,

I have an interview for hospitalist PA position on Friday. I would really love to get into this speciality.

What should I know about the hospitalist PA position- what questions are important for this specialty? What I should know before I walk out of the door.

Thank you

Why do you want to be a hospitalist?

Check on the current position.. Does the hospital use the hospitalist PAs merely for H&P and d/c summaries only? Or do they usilize the PA s to carry patients along with the hospitalist's?

Do the hospitalist's do interventional medicine ( lines, tubes, taps).. If so, will they teach you and let you do enough to get credentialled if you do not have experience doing these procedures?

Will you be taking first call from the floor, or ED?

Will you be an employee of the group or the hospital?

Again, why do you want this position? You should have THAT Clear in your mind before you enter the interview.

Good luck

1 year out as the first hospitalist PA at a major academic institution and loving it! In the past month have found ANCA-vasculitis with renal failure, a few multiple myelomas, neurological Wilson's disease to name a few, just found a possible calciphylaxis in my ESRD gal with hypercalcemia (waiting for biopsy today). Do my own procedures when they come up, am 7on/7off and we function as the "pop-off" valve for when the teaching services cap throughout the day.

I have my own patients I follow and I'm first-call for them, though I staff them and give updates to my MD's later in the day and we usually talk about the interesting cases as a team. Usually have about 5-10 on my panel and am up for consults or admissions throughout the day.

What will your schedule and hours be like? 7on 7off? Days or nights? Academic or community hospital?

Formal rounds?

If you're doing admissions, how many per shift?

Do you do consults for the surgery services or admit ortho patients?

If academic, are you the pop-off valve for the resident service for when they cap? Or do you see the patients the house staff don't want (like I've heard at some institutions) like the CFers, chronic pain with gastroparesis, homeless dispo nightmares etc

What did you do before PA school and what appeals to you about being a hospitalist?

Are you a new grad or have you been out a few years?

Archived