Am i allowed to retake a pre-req?

The past 2 semesters i've had straight A's and the past 2 semesters before that I had A's & B's. However, my first year of college I decided to take Biology courses as general education while I decided on my major. I ended up getting C's in both General Biology 1 & 2. I also got a C in General Chemistry.

All 3 of those are part of my pre-reqs. The school I was planning on going to has just updated their PA requirements. It used to be that you needed an average of 3.0+ in science pre-reqs. Now every pre-req must be B or higher. I tried looking at other surrounding colleges and all of them also require B or higher pre-reqs.

I'm 99% positive I cannot retake those courses to replace the grade (last time I asked, the school I attend now said no and the school I plan on going to said no).

Does that mean it's now impossible to become a PA because of a simple lousy mistake in my undergraduate when i wasn't sure of my major?

No. You can still be a PA. When you retake a class CASPA will just put those classes in and average your GPA with your overall total. Most PA programs will take the higher grade (the more recent and higher one typically) but in your overall GPA and science GPA that grade will just be averaged out. So if you got a C in bio and came back to get an A later the school will accept the A for that prereq however your GPA will be added to the cGPA and sGPA just as if you took an additional class.

Some schools like Western University in Pomona honor grade replacements.

Personally I did terrible during my undergrad but I was able to come back during my masters and post bach coursework. I received a C in Bio I and that didn't stop me from getting into my PA program.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the reply. I guess I was frustrated and just overreacted thinking I was screwed. Looks like just another setback but healthcare is my passion so I'll do what I have to. Biology should be easy for me now, hopefully they'll let me take both courses in the same semester.

Archived