First draft personal statement. Please critique and give feedback.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my personal statement and I have a 500 word restriction so I am kinda restricted in the number of topics and any suggestions are welcomed.

Why do I want to be a physician assistant (PA)? Because being a PA offers a lot of flexibility in career choice especially in the field of medicine where advances are made every day. Right now there are plenty of fields in medicine that draw my interest like cardiology, orthopedics but my interest lie mostly in primary care. My interest in primary care stem from the relationship my mother had with her physician. A few years back my mom went for regular checkup at the physician’s office, he noticed that in her lab results showed that my mom had a case of high cholesterol. The physician explained all the risk concerning high cholesterol to my mom. That consultation my mom had with her physician made her want to change her lifestyle, she stared eating healthier and exercising which resulted in lowering her cholesterol. The physician had a huge impact on my mother’s health and might had a prevented a myocardial infarction or a stroke. As a PA working in a primary care setting I would like to have the same impact on patients. I would educate patients on the diseases and what is the best course of action in preventing them because as Benjamin Franklin once said “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”.

My interest for the PA profession stared while I was working in a food testing lab called Certified Laboratories. My brother had previously proposed the idea of being a PA to me and after researching the profession I noticed that the relationship between a PA and a physician have was pretty similar to the relationship I had with a fellow analyst at my job. The analyst had taken me under his wing to help him with the workload he had, he taught me how to operate an LC-MS/MS instrument and help him with routine analysis while he focused more on research projects involving new compounds. As I became more comfortable with the analysis and operating the instrument he stared trusting me more and he would ask for my input on certain issues. I felt more than comfortable with the relationship I had with the analyst of mutual trust and respect. This relationship let me to believe that the PA profession would be a great fit for me in working as a team and establishing relationships of trust and respect with physicians as I did with the analyst.

Another reason why I find the PA profession quite fascinating is the interactions with patients. In my previous job I found it not to be as fascinating simply because I performed the same analysis daily. But as a PA I would be dealing with different patients every day and every patient would be bring a unique experience. I believe that Harlem hospital would be an ideal starting point for me because of the diverse population I would encounter would provide me with a great foundation on providing excellent patient care.

Archived