Acute care surgery / Trauma interview

Hey everyone,

I am a new grad and I have an interview on Monday with an academic hospital in Florida, Level 1 trauma center. The position would be in the Acute Care / Trauma surg department. What would be a respectable offer for this position?

I've looked at the 2010 aapa salary survey and I would think somewhere in the realm of 80,000 for a new grad in general surgery is the norm. I would love this position but I don't want to be lowballed too much. What would be the minimum you would accept if you were offered the position.

Looking back, my level of experience and knowledge at the time I first got out of school in no way had me prepared to step into such a role. The OP didn't state what the listed job duties were but if it entails acute trauma care, and the expectation of being able to successfully perform invasive procedures right off the bat (again, assumptions being made here), I would not have been prepared for same. If the position doesn't entail these types of duties then I apologize. I would suspect that they would gradually incorporate such duties into the position as the practitioner became more knowledgable and experienced, which may be the case here. All this is coming from one who wasn't provided an opportunity during surgery rotation to participate in a general surgery rotation. Our options were Ortho, Burns, ER (not a full fledged "trauma center" at the time), and Plastics, for four weeks each. I realize that things are different today with regard to education/training options. Based on the comments of others in this forum who have expressed dissatisfaction, low self-esteem, and question whether or not they have made a correct career decision, I can see how such a position could either make or break a young grad, not knowing what the mental makeup of the individual may be. Hopefully this becomes a great learning experience and produces a skilled EM provider.

Addendum: as I reread the OP's initial comment it would appear that this may be a post-acute care position, i.e.-ward follow up on trauma patients treated over the previous 24 hours or longer. If that's the case then I stand corrected and can see how this would be a good opportunity. Upon first reading, I read this to be in the ED with acute trauma cases rolling through the doors.

Looking back, my level of experience and knowledge at the time I first got out of school in no way had me prepared to step into such a role. The OP didn't state what the listed job duties were but if it entails acute trauma care, and the expectation of being able to successfully perform invasive procedures right off the bat (again, assumptions being made here), I would not have been prepared for same. If the position doesn't entail these types of duties then I apologize. I would suspect that they would gradually incorporate such duties into the position as the practitioner became more knowledgable and experienced, which may be the case here. All this is coming from one who wasn't provided an opportunity during surgery rotation to participate in a general surgery rotation. Our options were Ortho, Burns, ER (not a full fledged "trauma center" at the time), and Plastics, for four weeks each. I realize that things are different today with regard to education/training options. Based on the comments of others in this forum who have expressed dissatisfaction, low self-esteem, and question whether or not they have made a correct career decision, I can see how such a position could either make or break a young grad, not knowing what the mental makeup of the individual may be. Hopefully this becomes a great learning experience and produces a skilled EM provider.

Addendum: as I reread the OP's initial comment it would appear that this may be a post-acute care position, i.e.-ward follow up on trauma patients treated over the previous 24 hours or longer. If that's the case then I stand corrected and can see how this would be a good opportunity. Upon first reading, I read this to be in the ED with acute trauma cases rolling through the doors.

I believe that you are correct, this is most likely post acute care, rounding in icu with attending fellows and PAs. Prob do procedures as I get broken in. They explictly said there was little involvement in the trauma bay and few times to scrub in for the OR. Most likely ill be in the TICU and SICU.

That being said, I am aware of the steep learning curve, Im only taking this job if they offer mentorship and supervsion.

I believe that you are correct, this is most likely post acute care, rounding in icu with attending fellows and PAs. Prob do procedures as I get broken in. They explictly said there was little involvement in the trauma bay and few times to scrub in for the OR. Most likely ill be in the TICU and SICU.

That being said, I am aware of the steep learning curve, Im only taking this job if they offer mentorship and supervsion.

Tick and sicu aint exactly a walk in the park... But,

You wanna become studly, and if they will hold your hand....Pretty soon, lines, numbers, drugs, and system failures really make sense, and those things that should scare you become a whole lot less scary.. And you will be studly.

Start, right now! Reading Marino " the ICU manual"..

And start bringing food for the nurses, who will Make or break you.

Good luck.

Tick and sicu aint exactly a walk in the park... But,

You wanna become studly, and if they will hold your hand....Pretty soon, lines, numbers, drugs, and system failures really make sense, and those things that should scare you become a whole lot less scary.. And you will be studly.

Start, right now! Reading Marino " the ICU manual"..

And start bringing food for the nurses, who will Make or break you.

Good luck.

I've been reading Marino for the last month, I'm around a little more than half way through. EXCELLENT BOOK! It definitely has helped with grasping the core concepts of the problems that are faced when dealing with ICU patients. Also, I haven't taken ATLS or FCCS yet, and I am hoping they offer me a chance to take these courses. I haven't taken the courses because I've been broke so if the employer would offer to pay for them that would be great.

Definitely need to bring the nurses food every shift, a hungry nurse is not a happy nurse. :wink:

I'm really interested in trauma/ ticu after graduation... Sound like it's best to make sure I'm in a position such as this at first (no trauma bay, very little OR..sounds sad now, but I'll probably be thankful for it when that first trauma comes in and..yikes!!! I'm actually the PA). Besides reading Marino, any other advice on the best way to prepare?? I start rotations in August. Thanks!

That's a very good idea -- and I'd recommend getting something concrete about the what, when, and how-often, in writing. I had a bad experience with my first job out of school (not surgery, but similar steep learning curve and fast pace) because as much as they talked about doing this, they failed to deliver once I was on the clock. It was miserable, I hated it, I'm so glad I moved on.

Archived