Future RT (R), wanting to be an RA...questions

Hi!

I'm currently in school to become registered technologist in radiography, wanting to pursue a radiologist assistant, but have become aware of the fact that I rarely ever see any! I had recently talked to my program director and she told me the reason behind why I never see any. She had suggested going into a PA program then specializing in Radiology. I graduate next year, and I know I'm getting a little too far ahead of myself, but I'd like to have somewhat of an idea of what to look for, so tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know where to start or where to go.:=Z:

Thank you!!

-Ariel.

Step 1: Shadow some PAs and see if its the career path you want.

Step 2: Go to portal.caspaonline.org, the ASCP website, and PEA website and look at programs that interest you.

Step 3: Once you've selected a few schools of interest look at the prerequisites and requirements.

Step 4: Finish all requirements, prerequisites and polish your application for desired PA programs.

Step 5: Submit your CASPA application.

Step 6: Interview and get accepted.

Step 7: If you don't get in figure out where to improve and repeat Steps 4 - 6.

Google can also be your friend. Simply googling "how to become a PA" produces a ton of results that can help you get started. It just takes a little legwork. I definitely agree with Timon, you need to shadow some PAs first to make sure this is what you want to do before you spend a ton of time and money going through the application process.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an RT® and worked with both a radiology PA and RA when I was still in x-ray school. I worked as a tech for 5 years and decided to take the PA route and am in my 2nd year of PA school. So many more options as a PA if you ever get sick of radiology, and PA's are recognized as healthcare providers by Medicare/caid and other insurance companies. RA's aren't recognized as providers and therefore aren't reimbursed by insurance companies. At my last job they ended up firing the RA because she couldn't do any procedures on Medicare patients...so the radiologist would have to come in the room anyway and it defeated the whole purpose

Archived