Advice for a non-tradtional Pre-PA? Masters vs. Pre-reqs

Hey guys! New to the forum, but I was hoping to get an honest opinion as I'm sure a few of you have been in my shoes.

I ****ed up. My undergraduate years resulted in some sad looking grades. I re-took multiple classes to end up with a 2.8. Well, this doesn't bode well for CASPA when the majority of my caseload was science (bio major). My calculated GPAs do not qualify me for any school though I do have passing grades (A's, B's, and some C's) in my pre-requisite coursework. It's been a few years, and I am ready for the dedication towards PA. I took the GRE in November and did ok (155V, 159Q, 4) and I've been a lab tech for a few years with phlebotomy for my patient contact. So, I'm looking at 2 options and they are:

1 - Re-take some prerequisites this next year and absolutely destroy them, in a good way. A's all around this time. The problem is that this scenario isn't going to really HELP my GPA, but maybe just show that I am dedicated and provides a solid base. I just don't know if this would even stand out to an admissions committee? Would they notice this hard work?

2 - Apply to some Special Master's Programs (SMP) that are specifically for enhancing GPA. They are one-year master's degree programs with tough science curriculum specifically for students with lower GPAs as a sort of last-ditch effort to show academic growth before med/dental/PA application time. Now, these grades wouldn't replace my *Ugh* other GPA, but I would have A's in graduate school, and a Master's to show at the end of it (although a Master's in Medical Science doesn't do much, but makes me feel better! Ha)

Number one seems like such a bummer to me. Number two sounds awesome, but what does that show in the end? I guess it shows that I can handle a master's course load, and could also show dedication and provide a solid science base. But would this matter to a PA adcom? It seems that PA adcoms want a 3.5 undergrad GPA, but that is just not possible at this point. Maybe a 2.9 UG and a 4.0 Graduate GPA would at least get somebody's attention? I'm driving myself CRAZY trying to figure out which direction my life will be heading... I would love some advice please :) Thanks!

MrMikeyRay

It's really just a numbers game my friend. I suggest going with a route that you will gain something useful when all is said and done. I'd select the most cost effective option as well. The issue is you need a certain amount of credits at a specific GPA to raise your GPA to something acceptable.

So step 1 would be to figure out the number of units it'll take for you to raise your GPA.

Step 2 would be to evaluate different programs and the amount of credits you would end up with by the end of that said program.

Step 3 would then narrow down your search by cost and duration of time it would take to complete it.

Step 4 or the Last step would be what will you be able to do with those classes or degree once completed.

When you completed your matrix you'll have the solution as to what works best for you specifically.

Good luck!

Thanks Timon. I will do the math to calculate what I need to significantly raise the GPA, and compare the credits for each route.

Is anybody familiar with these Special Master's Programs (SMP)? They sound like an interesting option for someone needing a GPA and credibility boost.

Here is one of many in case you're interested.... http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/academics/bms/Pages/biomedical-professional-masters.aspx

Some require MCATs but others have a more broad net and accept GRE. I'm just wondering if anybody has any insight into whether that is a valid option for Pre-PA. If it's good enough for med school, why not PA school, right?

I'd probably suggest a graduate program. But if you earned C's in Chem 1/2 for example, you may want to retake those. As posted above, if you complete a graduate program with stellar grades you'll have created two options: improved likelihood of getting into PA school and/or acquired a MS which will help you find work in the field of the MS.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty - I have made a decision. Thanks for your opinions guys! I just got accepted into a premedical internship opportunity, and after talking to a program's admissions I have decided to retake prerequisite courses for the following year. That way I can get some great experience, show my dedication through coursework, increase that GPA, and stop whining to y'all, at least until next April. Thanks again! Take care.

Archived