Thoughts needed-HCE

I currently have a GPA above 3.9 and am finishing up some science prereqs. I also served as an officer in the military for four years (the PA school I'm applying to has said they're specifically targeting vets, FWIW.)

What I'm having a problem with is seemingly getting my foot in the door for any HCE. I've applied for positions that didnt require qualifications and haven't gotten them. Ok, fine. I've looked at the job market for some healthcare workers and outside of RN, physical therapist, respiratory therapist, it seems like this area isn't hiring. Phlebotomist positions that are advertised require one year experience. On indeed.com there's like 3 P/T CNA positions for the entire area. EMT-ha! good luck with that.

heck, I'm having trouble getting the hospitals to call me back for volunteer positions.

Any other advice more off the beaten path?

I did my CNA certification when I first decided to pursue this profession. I was immediately frustrated at how long it was taking to find a job, when all I was hearing was how many jobs were out there for that kind of thing. I ended up taking a position that was less than desirable, in hopes that it would give me at least a ladder to start climbing. It did. I started as a home health aid for a large health system. After a year of that and applying to 80+ jobs in the hospital, I finally got a hit and got a great job in the ICU where I learned a LOT. Be persistent and keep moving ahead in this down time you have of unemployment. While I was searching for jobs I started volunteering, took a phlebotomy course, an IV certification, and got my BLS certification. Some of it was just resume fodder, and some of it was to expand my knowledge out of a sincere passion for this. Each time I applied to another hospital job I updated my resume with anything that I had done since the last one. I probably have 25+ saved versions of my resume on my computer. It was a pain in the butt, but it worked.

Many nursing homes/SNF's don't advertise their needs online. I was having the same problem when I first got my CNA certification and started applying at hospitals. I had NO luck so i just googled nursing homes in the area and sent in my resume and cover letter by mail. Within a week I had multiple phone calls and interviews, and ended up with several job offers. Like the previous poster said, it might not be that desirable, but the experience was invaluable in its own ways. Some agencies will also consider you after only 6 months of experience.

I would call/e-mail places directly. That way when you call the HR, they scan through all the resumes to find yours and say "Oh, yeah I found yours". It simply moves your resume to the top of the stack. Also, if they like your persistence and drive, sometimes they'll outright offer you an interview.

I had the same issue. While the entry level jobs may not list any required certs you have to realize many applying for the same position will have them. I applied for well over 50 entry level positions without a single interview. I finally decided to take an EMT-B class. I had several offers with private EMS companies after passing my exam. The pay and benefits suck but the experience has been awesome.

Archived