Making big decisions

I have been in school for about four years. I was a nursing major at one point but realized I wanted more than that out of life. Since I changed majors from nursing to science I feel I have lost so much time. I am 27 now and I currently work in a microbiology laboratory. I am torn in between making a decision for which degree I want to get because I am trying to make sure I am making the right decision. I can either get a biochemistry degree which is more in depth or microbiology degree. I wanted to go to medical school but also looked at becoming a PA. Really I am looking to start settling down and enjoy my life. At the same time I do not want to cut myself short.

I am stuck in weighing the options and with so many choices and possible outcomes, it does scare me.

I can choose biochemistry and be in school till I am about 32 or finish with microbiology when I am about 30-31 years old.

I am trying to weigh the time lost and education gained for my future and the probability of getting into PA school.

I did mention before about going to medical school but I do not feel finishing the program being close to 40 is worth it to me. I dont feel spending 5-10 years paying off the debt and barely working 20 +/-5 years as a doctor.

I do not feel becoming a PA would be settling down for less, but at the same time I also have the fear of WHAT IF I do not get into the PA program. That is what is making my choice for my BS degree so hard. I can choose micro which is shorter in time and go for the PA school and if things go bad, then I am stuck with a degree that I really dont want. I could go for the biochemistry degree which is something that I really do enjoy, spend a bit more time in school, and apply to PA school. If I do not get in for whatever reason I could always be a biochemist. I would be happy with either but I feel, for me, I need that human interaction with people and not really desire to spend the rest of my life in a lab. Especially since I do work in a professional laboratory now, I see how it can be and that is not really a future I want for myself.

Really I just am afraid of making bad choices, I feel I have gotten to a point in my life where I need to say "This is it, this is what I am doing" and I do not want to waste anymore time. I am sure becoming a PA about the age of 35-36 is decent and not bad. There will always be a demand for PA's, and yes money is nice but I really want to do something that I can do, love, help people, and at the end of the day go home and be with my family. Being at the lab has nearly destroyed my relationship and is costing me my sanity.

Does anyone have any advice for me, in regards to the degree situation, or just some mature advice or words of encouragement. I am sure there are people out there who have experienced something similar to what I am going through. I do appreciate feedback. Have a good weekend.

I am 29 now and just got accepted to GWU PA program. When i was graduated college back in 2005, I started a research assistant position doing MRI research for 2 years. Then I was a school teacher for 4 years. After teaching, I just started working a retail job so I could focus on studying for GRE and putting together my CASPA application without having a job that would consume much of my time and energy. I also volunteered at the emergency department at a local hospital to get some exposure to patients and hospital environment.

While in college, I worked in a Zoology lab as a volunteer research assistant for a graduate student doing her dissertation on frogs. I worked in a wet lab with her and other undergrad students. Although I enjoyed the research aspect of it, I did not like being in a laboratory for an extended amount of time. So I crossed that off my list and changed my microbiology major to a general health science major. After I switched, I decided to volunteer for a psychology lab doing research with patients diagnosed with chronic pain conditions. Then, I did a thesis on placebo effects based on a study the lab was doing. And I loved it. Applied to Clinical Psychology program after I graduated college, didn't get in, so applied to Research Assistant positions across the nation and got a position at Stanford University doing MRI research.

Try to think about things less in terms of time and more in terms of what is going to be the most gratifying experience or career for you. It's all about job satisfaction. I would recommend you volunteer at a local hospital and see if you like the patient contact/hospital environment before deciding to go the PA, MD, or nursing route. It is much different from a wet lab but also - as you mentioned - rewarding at the end of the day. PA schools don't look at what you majored in as long as you complete the pre-requisite coursework with a decent GPA. Hope this helps.

Get a degree in something that interests you. In most cases, PA or MD/DO, the degree matters less over the prerequisites, GPA, and GRE/MCAT. I got my degree in advertising, I love the subject and major, however I never worked in advertising even throughout the 12 years I've completed the degree. I've worked in many fields, most of which cared less what my degree was in but rather that I had a bachelors in anything. In my opinion, if you want to be a PA then go for it, if you want to be a doctor go for it. The degree subject won't hold you back in either case from my observation. I learned this early when I worked as an IT project manager and no one I worked with had a degree in computers or engineering, they were psych, liberal arts, English, business and communications majors.

My advice is to finish your prerequisites, get a job outside of the lab with direct patient contact and evaluate if you like working with patients. If you do like working with patients get a degree that would give you the quickest turnaround time and apply to the program you want.

Archived