Contract Problems... how to negotiate?

I just got an offer from an Urgent Care chain, but it isn't perfect. I have never negotiated a contract before, so I would appreciate any tips. The biggest problems are these:

I think they low-balled me on the pay by about $6/hr. If it were $1-2 per hour, I would be fine about asking them to raise it... but $6/hr is a lot.

I would be starting off PT/PRN, which is ok, except the noncompete clause is a problem. They will allow me to have another job (continue at the FP clinic where I am presently working full-time), but the clause says that no other employer or job can take priority over this urgent care chain. I just don't understand how that would work. I can't put a PRN job as first priority when I have a full-time job and some serious bills to pay.

Before I schedule a meeting with them, how would you recommend that I approach these problems?

Thanks.

I noticed in another post regarding this matter, that you were from Utah. It may be time to take your services elsewhere if they keep insulting you with these offers.

Yes, I am in Utah. As much as I would love to relocate - and it's not that I refuse to - I really have no choice but to stay here. It's a problem with licensing. I'd rather not explain openly, so please trust that if I told you the whole story, you would understand. PM me if you're really dying to know.

Yes, I am in Utah. As much as I would love to relocate - and it's not that I refuse to - I really have no choice but to stay here. It's a problem with licensing. I'd rather not explain openly, so please trust that if I told you the whole story, you would understand. PM me if you're really dying to know.

No not dying to know, I understand. I hope that you can get what you're worth with the new job. I guess you can only go up right?

Before I schedule a meeting with them, how would you recommend that I approach these problems?

Thanks.

Seriously, it kills me to see smart, educated and motivated PA's that have no clue how to negotiate.

Step #1

Read and study.

Just like seeing a pt with DM, you need to crack the books and at least have a command of the basics. (High blood sugar bad, low blood sugar good. Get a hx and fasting B/S and HgA1C, if in certain range start meds.)

This is the information age, negotiating tactics are but a click away.

Step #2

Realize these are businessmen, that's what they do, their goal is to do good business.

Also realize that you too are a business-person, it is imperative that you do good business. How do you do that?? Refer to step #1

Step #3

Counter.

This is where the weak fail. Self doubt rears it's head in the form of "they won't go for that" or " I don't want to make them mad" and you don't counter to the fullest.

Make a list of what you need that are absolute deal breakers and don't accept anything less.

good luck.

pm for help.

• 1 month later...

Archived