HCE question for MEDEX master's option

Hi, everyone,

Looks like the Army will be sending us to Joint Base Lewis-McChord this year. Very excited about it, as I am hoping to attend the MEDEX master's program! However, I'm now debating my next move. I have about 4,700 total HCE hours. Of those, 1,700 are as an ER tech/patient care tech/CNA, 1,000 are as a physical therapy tech, and the remainder was in health administration (ER clerk, business manager, utilization management support coordinator).

I know I need more HCE to apply for MEDEX, as the health admin experience won't count. My academics are competitive, so I think the weak link in my application will be the HCE.

I plan to pursue some sort of paid HCE once we arrive in WA (we're overseas currently). I was a CNA, but I was not licensed (not required in that state). It has been more than a year since I worked as a CNA, so I would have to go to the class again to become certified in WA. So, my options are:

1. CNA class again. Pros: Short classtime --> working. Inexpensive. Cons: Finding work might be challenging...

2. EMT-B class. Pros: Higher level of training. Good skills for future. Cons: More expensive. More time consuming. Unsure of job market.

My question: in view of the fact that my goal is HCE to apply to MEDEX, which would you choose?

Honest answer? Both. 2 reasons - learning/working as an EMT is, IMO, infinitely better prep for PA school than CNA work, but as you said the job market is competitive, esp around Lewis/McChord. CNA training will not prepare you as well for PA school - not saying that those CNAs who have gotten into MEDEX were not prepared, but I've done both and I know for certain that EMT training was more applicable to what what and how I learned in PA school. The most important reason for doing both, though, is that it will make you more marketable in the job market. Want an ER tech job? CNA/EMT makes a MUCH better applicant than CNA or EMT by themselves. Want a nursing home job? CNA/EMT makes a much better applicant then does either by itself.

That's my 2 cents, YMMV.

Andrew

Archived