Is anyone working in the USPHS?

Hello, I was wondering there were any PA's in the Commissioned Corps that can tell me a little about their experience? I am currently applying for the SRCOSTEP program and was asked to interview with the Bureau of Prisons. If selected they would pay for my tuition next year (I am currently a 1st year student at PCOM) for exchange of 2 years working in the prison system when I graduated. Working in the prisons doesn't exactly thrill me, but the tuition money and benefits sure are tempting.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Are PA's well utilized in the USPHS? And what is it like working for the BOP?

Thanks!

I work on a reservation as a direct tribal hire, but PAs are hired via the USPHS and Indian Health Service, too. I have no experience with the BOP, but I have heard that it is not the best job to have as a new PA. I believe that is because you may not have good back up and support from a physician. Are there any BOP PAs who can chime in here? Don't want to spread bad rumors!!!

I don't have any first-hand experience with BOP or USPHS, but on my last DMAT deployment we were co-deployed with the PHS. I spent a long time talking to a couple of the PHS PAs and an NP (who was also a recruiter) about their experiences. What I got out of our conversation is that the actual work as a PHS BOP PA is just like any prison medicine job (and it sounds like you know the pros and cons of that) but the benefits and salary of working for the PHS are phenomonal. They expect a two year commitment at your first job (and any subsequent placement) but after that you can apply for a new job anywhere in a PHS agency.

• 7 months later...

I'm seven months late to this party, but I'm a USPHS PA and work in the BOP. It's a great gig (both the USPHS and the BOP); my advice is to take a slot in a medical center if you're a new grad. You'll definitely want to be working with a bunch of other medical professionals while you learn the ropes. If the list comes out and there aren't any medical centers on it, you need to make some calls and talk to the docs you'd be working with at the various institutions so that you can get an idea of what the teaching relationship would be like. One of my PHS PA colleagues staffs a prison with tele-doc support only, and he's a new grad too.

• 1 year later...

Archived