Getting HCE-General Question

I need some HCE. Right now, my school and family life are hectic, so I'm not doing any extra certs right now. I was looking at a PRN Physical Therapy Aide, and hopefully when things calm down, maybe work my way up.

Question: should I be dumbing down my résumé for this job, and basically just filling out the online form? I have a degree, GPA, and previous work experience that probably make me sound way overqualified.

My experience has been that overqualified people generally don't get positions...am I right in this instance, or wrong? Any thoughts?

I get what you are saying, but your wording gives the reader the impression that you feel the position is beneath your ability/intelligence. You seem to be asking " should I appear dumb to get a job?".

I would suggest that you find a field of work where you will be challenged and expand your knowledge base. If PTA is too simple, look elsewhere. Yes, I see you prefaced your post with I am so busy". But here is the thing...we are all busy. Divorces, marriages, deaths, births, disease, home buying, moving... The list goes on. Some people find a way to overcome obstacles, other people give up or make excuses. Which one do you want to be?

Steve,

Didnt mean to imply the position was beneath me.

I think there's a lot this job could teach me. It is just I am wary of submitting my full résumé when this could well scare off potential employers.

I wonder if anyone else with a "full" resume applied for this position or a similar one, and how they did it.

Thanks!

I had the same problem as you, trying to get a job as a certified nurse assistant with a bachelor's degree in biomedical sciences. A few HR people told me I was overqualified, I would get a phone interview and they would be shocked to hear I have a degree and why I am applying for a CNA position. Employers don't necessarily want to pay the extra $1 or $2 for someone with a bachelor's degree. They also don't want someone quitting once they found a better opportunity. I would not dumb down your resume, because most of the time its a computer scanning through certain key words on your application.

Instead, highlight the experience you have in that field, and leave out what isn't necessary. Also make sure to submit a cover letter about why the PRN physical therapy aide job is important to you.. maybe flexibility of being PRN, getting HCE hours, etc. I think the cover letter is what helped me get a job.

Archived