Clinical experience question

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my undergrad in Public Health and have worked as a case coordinator in the medical field for the past 5 years. I am planning on applying to a specific PA school for a dual degree program for my MPH/MMSc-PA but recently found out that they require 2,000 hours of clinical experience. I am looking into an Orthopedic Tech program to start gaining the clinical experience and was hoping that someone may have some advise on whether or not this would be a good decision or if I should look into something else for the clinical experience. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Why Ortho? Is it a passion/hobby/interest/passing fancy/convenient school close to home? I think it's a solid choice, assuming the one school that you want to apply to feels it's good HCE. I enjoy casting and ortho is an interesting study of medicine but like many things, it's one small slice of the pie. A lot of folks go the EMT/CNA route where they are exposed to more slices of said pie but I don't know if being an ortho tech would put you at a disadvantage per se in a head to head comparison when being evaluated by a school.

I suppose my answer would be "if you like it and have an interest in it, go for it".

Thank you for the response. I do have a passion for Ortho but also know that it is just a slice of the pie, which is the current dilemma that I am facing within because I want to be as well rounded as possible when I am able (hopefully) to dive into a PA program. I was also thinking about the CNA/EMT route, but I am just having a very hard time deciding.

Archived