Do I even have a chance?

Since high school, I have wanted to become a dermatologist or a PA in a derm office. I decided to go the medical school route, so I was pre-med in college. I graduated May 2012 and I took the MCAT in July. I ended up doing horribly on the MCAT (24), so I was going to take it again this spring. I have been thinking about it a lot lately and stressing out over this decision, but I don't feel like I want to go to medical school anymore. If I did, I might not even be able to get into a dermatology residency, and might be stuck doing something I don't really like. I also don't think I would be able to handle all of the years it takes to become a physician. I like that I would be able to "start" my life sooner if I go to PA school. I also like the flexibility of the PA profession...how you can change specialties. Most of the PAs I shadowed told me this, and that is one of the reasons they really liked the profession. You can't do that if you are a physician. I really think the PA profession is better suited for me. I would like to apply this cycle, but I'm worried I won't even have a chance because I do not have much HCE. I have about 135 hours of shadowing experience (mostly physician assistant shadowing) and about 100 hours volunteering (in the ER and on a floor of a hospital). I graduated a community college with a GPA of 3.99 and a 4-year school with a GPA of 3.8. I haven't taken the GRE, but I plan on doing so before I apply. I plan on applying to schools that require little or no hours of experience. Do you think they would consider me since they don't require HCE?

There are schools (a lot in California) that do not require HCE and one school in particular (Western) purely looks at GPA to grant interviews. I would definitely apply as you seem to fit the mold of the candidate most often selected at schools that don't require HCE. In the meantime between now and when you apply I would pick up as many shifts as possible to gain paid HCE. If I were in you shoes I'd have everything submitted to CASPA and build HCE and apply mid June.

Archived