Should I pursue becoming a PA?

Hello,

I recently turned 22 years old, and currently am a senior in college. I am going to be graduating with a bachelors degree in health and wellness, my current GPA is a 3.1.

Let me give you a little bit of background on my college history:

I came into college not having an idea what I wanted to pursue, so I chose business administration. I was very irresponsible my first semester (poor time management, partied ALOT) and recieved a 1.6, something I was very embarrassed about. Pretty much after that my grades have been solid. Along the way, I began to lose interest in business, to me its extremely bland, unrewarding, and what I was learning was very uninteresting. At the time I also had become a health freak, I was addicted to working out and eating healthy. These two events caused me to switch to a health major. While I have enjoyed learning about exercise science and nutrition, one class has really caught my attention: Anatomy and Physiology. Tough course, but I managed to come out with a B+. It has motivated me to look into being a PA as a career. I'm afraid the careers I could get with my upcoming degree will not satisfy me, and I view being a medical professional as both immensely admirable, respectful, and a lifelong career. A PA walks into work everyday knowing his actions will benefit the wellness of his patients.

Now here are some factors that don't help my case:

I have no HCE experience. My solution to this is to get certified as an EMT and work ASAP, and to volunteer at a hospital (not HCE but still is valuable). I'm open to other quick ways of gaining HCE.

Besides A&P, none of my science pre-reqs are fulfilled. I actually see this as a neutral factor, it means I start with a clean slate, and don't have to retake any courses.

So basically my plan is to finish my bachelors, and start taking all the classes I need at my community college. Hopefully by then I'll be an EMT-b, so in a year and a half, I'll have compiled a decent amount of HCE hours, and have satisfied my admission pre-reqs.

I know the science classes are difficult, but at home I really don't have much of a social life, so all my time will be committed to school, which is the opposite of my great social life in college, where I usually binge drink Thurs-Sat. If I manage to pull A's in these courses, I believe my GPA will be acceptable.

To summarize, this is the first career that I have looked this in-depth to, and that fact does nothing but excite me.

Would love to hear your opinions.

Get some HCE. Shadow some PAs. Test yourself with some more challenging science classes. Aspire to get some As. Then decide whether PA is for you. You are young. Investigate the possibility of becoming an MD.

You said "A PA walks into work everyday knowing his actions will benefit the wellness of his patients". The value of having some health care experience is to see how you deal with bad situations where things are not all wellness and sunshine and roses. Being an EMT is very good experience as far as that goes especially if you're running 911 calls. People may code in front of you, unexpectedly go south, whatever. Things may not end well, no matter what you do. I don't think you can escape that in any area of medicine except maybe dermatology. It's something to think about. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

I'm an EMT in a ER and just wanted to share what came to my mind when I read your post. Like you in my undergrad I went the business route initially.. Changed my major 5 times.. Was in a fraternity and partied for 4 years. Being an EMT has been a great experience and has completely solidified my decision to become a PA. but i wanted to share with you some of the ups and downs you may or may not experience.

Yesterday we had a teenager came in complaining of the flu and being short of breath. They had no prior medical history and were very athletic. After getting X Rays of their chest (and various treatments) we found out he had pneumonia and their lungs were completely filled with fluid. The doctor intubated the patient and upon doing so about 500 ml of bloody fluid shot out of the tube placed in the lungs and probably soaked 4 people in the area. We later got an x ray to confirm the tube was in the correct location. Today I learned the patient passed away this morning.

During Christmas Eve and day and New Year's Eve and day I worked in the ER. When people ask me how my holidays went I tell them they were great. What I don't tell them was each of those four days I did chest compressions on 6 patients (4 who ultimately didn't make it).

The other day we had a 4 year old code on us. Everyone worked hard to bring the child back and after working on the patient for over an hour we finally were able to stability them. It was an amazing feeling but made me reflect on my own child.

When I'm working in triage (a place PAs are being placed in more often) people rush to you helpless and often times scared with hope you're going to make them or their loved ones get better. It can be stressful and you need thick skin dealing with the patients, their complaints, and the personalities of those you work with.

Youre going to see people seeking pain meds, people who abuse the healthcare system, elder / child / spousal abuse. You'll work weekends, nights, holidays, and most hours and places physicians find undesirable. Whenever a patient passes and I hear the news being broken when I hear the yelling and cries it always reminds me of when I told my mother that my father had passed and her reaction to the news. It can get very emotional at times.

As a PA you're also going to have a lot of responsibility managing patient care and you ultimately control the fate of the patients you see. That being said I suggest shadowing some PAs, getting a job with direct patient contact, and evaluate where within the healthcare delivery system you see yourself from experiencing it first hand before you make this commitment. Basically just get a better feel if you can deal with the pros and cons.

There are defining moments to want to be in healthcare and there are those for the exact role within healthcare. I intially wanted to be a nurse but shadowed various roles from RNs, MD/DOs, PAs and various techs. My defining moment to be a PA came while I was shadowing PAs at a level 1 trauma center. I saw a PA running a code and ultimately the patient didn't make it (very similar circumstance as the teenager but this was an elderly geriatric). I saw the family thank the PA and the rest of the team for doing everything they could and when I witnessed the PAs level of autonomy and understanding of medicine (length and cost of schooling / job outlook) I knew this is where I wanted to be. My observation is that you have a passion for healthcare but I suggest you find that defining moment that leads to your decision as to what capacity exactly in healthcare you feel comfortable in.

Just my two cents

I'm an EMT in a ER and just wanted to share what came to my mind when I read your post. Like you in my undergrad I went the business route initially.. Changed my major 5 times.. Was in a fraternity and partied for 4 years. Being an EMT has been a great experience and has completely solidified my decision to become a PA. but i wanted to share with you some of the ups and downs you may or may not experience.

Yesterday we had a teenager came in complaining of the flu and being short of breath. They had no prior medical history and were very athletic. After getting X Rays of their chest (and various treatments) we found out he had pneumonia and their lungs were completely filled with fluid. The doctor intubated the patient and upon doing so about 500 ml of bloody fluid shot out of the tube placed in the lungs and probably soaked 4 people in the area. We later got an x ray to confirm the tube was in the correct location. Today I learned the patient passed away this morning.

During Christmas Eve and day and New Year's Eve and day I worked in the ER. When people ask me how my holidays went I tell them they were great. What I don't tell them was each of those four days I did chest compressions on 6 patients (4 who ultimately didn't make it).

The other day we had a 4 year old code on us. Everyone worked hard to bring the child back and after working on the patient for over an hour we finally were able to stability them. It was an amazing feeling but made me reflect on my own child.

When I'm working in triage (a place PAs are being placed in more often) people rush to you helpless and often times scared with hope you're going to make them or their loved ones get better. It can be stressful and you need thick skin dealing with the patients, their complaints, and the personalities of those you work with.

Youre going to see people seeking pain meds, people who abuse the healthcare system, elder / child / spousal abuse. You'll work weekends, nights, holidays, and most hours and places physicians find undesirable. Whenever a patient passes and I hear the news being broken when I hear the yelling and cries it always reminds me of when I told my mother that my father had passed and her reaction to the news. It can get very emotional at times.

As a PA you're also going to have a lot of responsibility managing patient care and you ultimately control the fate of the patients you see. That being said I suggest shadowing some PAs, getting a job with direct patient contact, and evaluate where within the healthcare delivery system you see yourself from experiencing it first hand before you make this commitment. Basically just get a better feel if you can deal with the pros and cons.

There are defining moments to want to be in healthcare and there are those for the exact role within healthcare. I intially wanted to be a nurse but shadowed various roles from RNs, MD/DOs, PAs and various techs. My defining moment to be a PA came while I was shadowing PAs at a level 1 trauma center. I saw a PA running a code and ultimately the patient didn't make it (very similar circumstance as the teenager but this was an elderly geriatric). I saw the family thank the PA and the rest of the team for doing everything they could and when I witnessed the PAs level of autonomy and understanding of medicine (length and cost of schooling / job outlook) I knew this is where I wanted to be. My observation is that you have a passion for healthcare but I suggest you find that defining moment that leads to your decision as to what capacity exactly in healthcare you feel comfortable in.

Just my two cents

Thank you for responding with such a emotional, profound post. If it makes you feel any better, my holidays were spent parking cars and standing in the cold :)

I've concluded that my main problem is I need to find out if I truly have a passion for healthcare, but at the same time I want to get the ball rolling in terms of gaining the educational requirements needed to get into a program. I guess the quickest way I can get experience is by simply volunteering at a hospital and spending time observing how healthcare professionals work.

Thank you for responding with such a emotional, profound post. If it makes you feel any better, my holidays were spent parking cars and standing in the cold :)

I've concluded that my main problem is I need to find out if I truly have a passion for healthcare, but at the same time I want to get the ball rolling in terms of gaining the educational requirements needed to get into a program. I guess the quickest way I can get experience is by simply volunteering at a hospital and spending time observing how healthcare professionals work.

No worries. It made me smile about parking cars. Reminds me of the holidays I used to spend working at an amusement park back in the day. Go get your EMT. IMO don't volunteer.. You're not going to get a good enough feel IMO. You can also shoot for EKG Tech. Just an idea but actually get a paid job is my advice. There are some 2 week and 4 week EMT programs out there so shouldn't take long to get that ball rolling.

Archived