BSN in California?

Anybody enrolled or in the process of enrolling in the BSN programs in California? I've heard horror stories about how impacted these programs are, and how wait-lists can extend for years, or how the Associates in Nursing is needed (which takes years in/of itself).

I was hoping to take advantage of gaining my EMT-B cert at the community college that I'm attending, though I'm not quite sure on which Bachelors path to go on. BSN seems like the safest, most advantageous route (in terms of HCE, job prospects, etc.) - though, at least in California, there seems to be a multitude of obstacles.

If the BSN isn't possible though, my other plan was to major in a Social Science and take upper-level science classes, alongside volunteering, working as an EMT-B, gaining experience that way. Only caveat to this would be the possibility of not getting into PA school the first time around, but at least I'd have my EMT-B.

Nonetheless, if anyone could share their experiences, or any advice, it would be great.

Thanks!

California BSN programs are as impacted as it gets. The Assosiate programs aren't any better. There were over 2,000 applicants at my junior college for 30 spots. My friend who worked two years as a LVN and had all A's except one (literally one) B in microbiology didn't get in anywhere. If it's a BSN you want, you either need a lot of luck, or to get out of California ASAP. I have heard the accelerated programs for people who already have bachelors are about half as impacted but still jam packed even then. A Bachelors in psychology while working as an EMT seems to be a solid route. That is what has been recommended to me by quite a few people. There is a place in Signal Hill with a great reputation you can get your EMT-B in 21 days and go from there. Best of luck to you.

I can confirm the awesomeness of being a Psych major. I have incredible flexibility in time to focus on Chem (mainly) and Bio if need be as Psych courses tend to be significantly less demanding. I begin an EMT course in February and am hoping to get a job as a mental health tech at local psychiatric hospitals and/or ER tech if I can't land that job (in addition to just working transport or EMS if possible of course).

I went to the school in Signal Hill... its called CIEMT ($870) and I recommend that program whoever wants to become an EMT. If you are also looking for ways other than EMT to get paid HCE I also suggest Regan Career Institute's 12 Lead EKG Tech class ($1,100 / 4 weekends and you can do it while at CIEMT) and I also suggest UCI Medical Center's phlebotomy program ($1,400 / very indepth about the cardiovascular system, coagulation, lab testing, and I got to do 250+ blood draws in 2 weeks) which is 1-1.5 months long.

As for BSNs.... I initially looked into getting a BSN prior to PA school.. but like others have mentioned you got a big waitlist ahead of you... but PAMAC (don't know where he's been) would disagree and maybe if he stumbles across this thread can provide some insight. I heard LA County College, LA City College, East LA City College, Cal State San Bernardino / CSUF and Mt. St Mary's some of the easier programs to get into.

Most other programs have either discontinued new applications (like Mt SAC) or have a 7 year waitlist (Like Chaffey College).

There's always West Coast University ($132K for a 3yr BSN), Everest ($80K for a 2 year AA), and Concordia (forgot the cost) but they also have an accellerated Masters along with Azusa Pacific. Just throwing that out there.

Have you considered getting an RT license? I know Concorde ($30K) has a 2 year AA program and that would help you land a solid job / HCE and an AA (They also have an EEG tech program so you can study brain waves). Then you can build HCE while finishing up your Bachelors as an RT and have a fall back while waiting to get into PA school. I also seen Pacemaker Tech and Cardiovascular Techs make decent money (like $50k-$60) and I've seen some programs that are 4.5-6 months long.

When it comes to PA school your major doesn't matter.. as long as you get your BS/BA and have the pre-reqs done you should be ready to rock. I also recommend taking 1 year of spanish (it'll help your application, finding a job, and its a pre-req at USC). There are also AA programs you can consider like Riverside Community College and SJVC.

If I were to do it all over again and I could talk to my 18 year old self I would have gotten my EMT/EKG license, took classes at RCC and tried to get into their program (however I just learned they no longer accept EMT-B on an ambulance as HCE anymore due to too many ambulance drivers and IFTs from what I was told).

Thanks for the wealth of info!

Timon, I'm glad you outlined the better programs here to look at (along with prices!). Looking into these now, namely the EKG/EMT/Phlebotomy options. RT and Concorde would've been awesome had I discovered it before I started taking my prereqs here. But the only bad thing is the programs are a little ways from where I live (I'm in the desert, Palm Springs area) and it would be counter-intuitive to travel 1-2 hrs back/forth while taking classes here at College of the Desert, but if there's a will there's a way. Or I can wait until I transfer. I should've picked RCC...haha

Now that I look at it, I could probably take my EMT here for simplicity's sake, and do the 12 Lead EKG at RCI since it's only on the weekends.

Also, good idea about the Spanish courses. Going to try and stalk some waitlists for the classes this semester.

Thanks again!

It's not just the nursing schools that are impacted, but the incredible difficulty of finding a job as a new grad... which from what I understand is brutal. New grads are fighting to get into residency programs now in hopes of landing something after. All that marketing of how many jobs there are in health care... well I suppose if you have experience, and even then it's really tough. The recession showed even health care isn't entirely immune. A friend stays put in her RN job even though she'd like to move on after five years. She's just thankful to have a job.

Archived