Air Force Medical Scholarships

Would you join the military again?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join the military again?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Hello all,

I am considering applying for the USAF HPSP, and have a few questions that I hope the military PAs can answer.

In what specialty are you working?

Where are you stationed, and was it your first choice?

Have you taken advantage of any specialty training programs?

How has your family life been effected?

How much time do you spend with your family per week?

What is family housing like on base (especially for a O1 rank)?

What is salary/compensation like? ( I only ask because I would like to confirm what I have heard. I've been told the staring is around 85,000)

Can one negotiate pay?

How does one raise in rank?

Have you been deployed?

What was deployment like for you?

How long does a deployment last in the USAF?

When are you eligible for transfer to another base?

Are you happy with your situation?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Army, so I can't address some of your questions on a daily work schedule (probably pretty laid back in the Chair Force, I'd imagine. I did a few student rotations at an AF hospital and never worked past 3pm) or deployment cycle. You can find military pay charts here: Not even close to $85K. Most military folks don't do it for the $$, at least not at first. I don't know what kind of "special pay" the air force might offer but the Army gives an extra $500/mo for PAs with a Masters. You also get a housing allowance, but that depends on where you live and the cost of living in the area. Pay is not negotiable, sorry. For your first few ranks, you just do the time. If you come in as a brand, spanking new O-1 (which you might not, depending on what the AF offers you) it takes 1.5 years to make O-2 and 1.5 more to make O-3. If you don't mess up (molest someone...) you'll get promoted. As for base housing, the AF is notorious for having really nice housing. As far as where you'll be stationed, you can probably get your first choice- talk to the recruiter. All these are good questions for the recruiter, in fact. If you have any more general questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm brand new here -- first post even. But I wanted to correct some things in the previous post...

You don't make O-2 in 1.5 years -- you make it in 2 years. You don't make O-3 in 1.5 years -- you make it in 2 years. So you will pin on Captain after 4 years of service. That's assuming you start at O-1...I can't speak to what you'd come in as. Also, they just brought back "boards" for O-3...but still most people will make it (I think they are projecting a 95% promotion rate to O-3).

The clinics at the bases I've been stationed at tend to be open for patients until around 4pm...and I'm assuming they do some more work after that. For the most part, you can expect a pretty stable schedule with reasonable hours.

As far as compensation, trout is right -- you don't come into the military looking to get rich. An O-3 with 6 years of service pulls in (including housing allowance if you live off base) you make approximately 80K/year before taxes...about 60ish after taxes (all depends on your specific situation).

Lastly, be careful if ANYONE promises you a location. Nothing is final until you show up to that location.

Also, don't forget to factor in the military benefits you'll receive like free healthcare and no need for malpractice insurance. Also your housing allowance (if you choose to not live on base) is tax-free so there are some tax benefits as well. But even after all that the military isn't what I would call a competitive salary proposition. Only join up if you want to serve and realize that you won't be driving a Porsche anytime soon.

And if you take the HPSP scholarship I would not count on getting your first choice of duty stations. That's something to ask for if you decide to stay on after you've fulfilled your scholarship obligation.

Also, don't forget to factor in the military benefits you'll receive like free healthcare and no need for malpractice insurance. Also your housing allowance (if you choose to not live on base) is tax-free so there are some tax benefits as well. But even after all that the military isn't what I would call a competitive salary proposition. Only join up if you want to serve and realize that you won't be driving a Porsche anytime soon.

And if you take the HPSP scholarship I would not count on getting your first choice of duty stations. That's something to ask for if you decide to stay on after you've fulfilled your scholarship obligation.

Yeah what he said...

Air Force PA here. Came in after PA school. Got my first choice for assignments (my first choice actually had a manning need). Came in with MPAS so commissioned as 1st LT. Made Capt in 2 years. Deployed to Afghanistan after 1st year in. Good times but busy. Deployments last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. We all start in the trenches of the Family Practice clinic but there are many fellowships offered in Ortho, EM, ENT, ect. Yes, there are bonuses that have helped with retention as basic officer pay does not come near what one would make on the outside. The bonuses have made the $$ pretty competitive. Your total income will vary based on location. Just look at the pay scale. Plan to travel as there is lots of opportunity. Base housing varies by location. Most AF members CONUS live off-base though. As for being out of the office by 3pm...I have never met a PA who routinely gets out of the office by 1500... Typical "clinical day" starts at 0700 and ends at 1600 BUT then its the non-clinical stuff ie. Finishing charts, reviewing labs & rads, Returning pt calls, Co-signing the nursing and tech charts ect. Oh, and any young LT's or Capt's will have their share of extra duties or "leadership opportunities" ie disaster team chief, RSV monitor, Peer Review officer, and so on. Believe me you keep busy. The more proficient you are a the EMR and the more comfortable/confident in medicine you become the sooner you are out int he afternoons.

I hope that answers some questions for you. Good luck on your decision.

Yes, some. It didn't cover all my loans but it was better than what I was offered in the civilian side at the time. However, I came in early in the recruitment process. I believe there is much better Accession bonuses these days. A health professions recruiter would be a good POC for that. They should have the most up-to-date info on what the AF has to offer. I can tell you that since I did get a good chunk of my loans paid off by the AF I will be free of student loans in 2 months. This is years ahead of most of my classmates in PA school. The new retention pay, incentive pay, and board cert pay is nice and, again, is a reason that many PA's who would have retired or separated have decided to stay in.

Hey Scharf1211,

I was recently accepted to PA school in Alabama and I met with a recruiter last week. The airforce seems very inticing, being free of school debt, working for a great cause, getting the ability to travel. I was wondering, what is the difference between deployment being stationed.Is a deployment in a hostile area (middle east) only? I am single at the present, but there is a strong possibility of getting married after I graduate. How receptive is the AF as far as spouses are concerned. I think living overseas with her would be great. Deployed for a year at a time with out her...not so much. Aagin any further insight you could provide would be awesome! Also are you only treating AF or do you wokr with all the branches? Thank you for the service you provide and for the forum posts!

All the best!

I read some of you older posts, I see you went to UCF same here! Go Knights!! one last Q, I tried to figure out the pay charts, what do PAs tend to make in the AF? I realize if I did Military, It would not be for the $$. I think the experience would far outweigh the pay. Where are you stationed now?

• 3 months later...

Archived