Is an Audit or a C- easier to explain to Admissions Comittees

I am in a very hairy situation and am not sure what to do. I have applied through CASPA this year with a few schools on the list that require genetics with a C or higher. I have taken it before but got a C- in the class, so im retaking it this semester and have it as a "will complete class before matriculation" on CASPA's coursework section. Anyways, upon retaking it this semester, the teacher is much more difficult and is one of those teachers that rarely gives a passing grade. The semester is almost over and i think i might be getting a C- again. My GPA is sitting right at a 2.99 and know that if i get another C- it will drop it even lower. I know an audit wont effect my gpa, but don't know if it would be harder to explain during an interview or look worse to admissions committees.

Should I request for an audit from my teacher or should i stick it out and most likely get a C- minus again. which would look better or be easier to explain to admissions during an interview as they review my transcript?

I agree with Timon, except I would try harder to get a better grade if possible. I'm assuming you can't drop it at this point or you would have. A C- isn't very far from a C in most classes. If you still have time to change the grading in your class, I assume you still have time to improve your grade too. Go speak with the professor and ask what you can do to improve, study with people who are doing better than you, and spend extra time on that course. It's going to look bad either way, so it would be a lot better to improve instead of give up.

In the future, look at myedu.com to see what the grade distribution is for the class before you sign up if you can. It's difficult with scheduling sometimes, but if you can take the professor that gives out mostly B's you'll be a lot better off than the one that gives mostly D's (and the school seems to think the C average all together is fine for some reason, with ADCOMs not seeing the difference at all on your transcript). You'll also see withdrawal rates on there.

I'd take the one that would not impact your GPA negatively. Sucks to be in your situation. You can always drop the class and take it online at UoP.

What is this UoP genetics class? I've been looking for one and found one for Berkeley extension online but didn't think it would be the right class.

Archived