Does anyone know if Georgia is a more NP-friendly or PA-friendly state?

Hello Gentlerain,

I'm in/was in the same situation you are. Generally speaking Georgia is both a PA and NP friendly state. However, I think it depends on which specialty you are seeking that will determine your route. Though anything is possible. I found a Neonatal PA working in Dallas and several OB/GYN PA's in Atlanta. The consensus around here will be that PA's are trained to be generalists. Do a little background work, find out where you want to work and ask to shadow, ask questions, observe, etc.

I would say both. I agree with above depends on what specialty. ER/Surgery/Ortho=PA. OB/Peds probably better off doing NP. Family medicine, i have seen both. Inpatient internal medicine i have seen both but more PAs. Cardiology i have seen both, more NPs suprisingly. But this is just in the Atlanta area. Overall PA offers more options. But be careful making the decision based on the specialty you want to do now because (unless your 100% dead set) that may change. I shadowed about 5 different specialties (ER, surg, family med, inpatient, etc) and I started out PA school thinking i was dead set on family medicine, and I did a complete 360 once i actually went through rotations. I would say about 1/2 my classmates went into specialties they werent originally planning on going into.

Archived