Question about loan repayment programs

I have long had an interest in rural medicine, and from what I understand, PAs who go into rural medicine may be the only healthcare provider for miles, and have a lot more responsibility than those in more urban areas. It seems that a lot of people advise against going into a rural area too quickly after graduation, as one may not be well prepared for the responsibility. My question though, pertains to the loan repayment and scholarship programs such as NHSC and IHS. Since these programs require that a person serve in a certain area after graduation, is anyone ever concerned that they may end up stuck in an area way out by themselves where they feel in over their head?

In the 21st century with advanced telecom services the distances are closing virtually. Yes, there are still places with poor phone coverage and poor dial up motems for internet connectivity but those places are less and less.

A good consult is often just a 10 digit number away. That being said...if PA school was the first time suturing, doing IV's, doing advanced airway management, casting/splinting/looking at xrays, performing patient assessments the I don't think rural is a place for that recent grad. However, if that recent grad spent some serious time in the military medical field, or as an ER/OR nurse, paramedic, or other profession that put them in patient care decision situations (beyond what color of blood tube does a TSH go into or if the patient will need a red thermometer or a blue one) then I think it's feasible. Granted, I am only a student but currently working in a rural health care clinic where my PA preceptor is working solo about 50% of her time. After a couple of months, I'm starting to get a feel for the flow. It's not all about knowledge base, but also a certain confidence level that comes with experience that allows a provider to not freak themselves out too much while still maintaining a level of humility and caution. Defiantly a dance...

• 2 weeks later...

If you do the loan repayment program vs the scholarship program, you find the site first (or should at least) before you apply for repayment. The scholarship program sends you where they want and in the repayment program if you apply for the program first and then fail to find a site before your contract start time they will send you somewhere.

Archived