Interview Format

So I just realized that this is the first year GWU is using the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. It's radically different than what I was expecting so I'm sharing what I've learned from poking around:

From the GWU Page:

1. What is MMI?In a multiple mini interview (MMI) format, applicants will complete a 70 minute circuit of ten, seven-minute mini-interview stations. Applicants will have time before each interview to review the scenario or question. Once they have finished reviewing the scenario, they enter the room to respond to a series of questions.
  2. What might I expect to encounter in an MMI scenario?There are multiple scenarios that have been described and adapted across different health professional training programs. Examples can be found in journal articles describing the MMI process. There will be one standard interview scenario that will ask you to discuss with the interviewer why you have chosen to pursue a career as a PA.
    Other scenarios, such as the following examples, have been cited:

Placebo (Ethical Decision Making). Dr. Cheung recommends homeopathic medicines to his patients. There is no scientific evidence or widely accepted theory to suggest that homeopathic medicines work, and Dr. Cheung doesn't believe them to. He recommends homeopathic medicine to people with mild and non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headaches and muscle aches, because he believes that it will do no harm, but will give them reassurance.
    Consider the ethical problems that Dr. Cheung's behavior might pose. Discuss these issues with the interviewer.

Parking Garage (Communication Skills). The parking garage at your place of work has assigned parking spots. On leaving your spot, you are observed by the garage attendant as you back into a neighboring car, a BMW, knocking out its left front headlight and denting the left front fender. The garage attendant gives you the name and office number of the owner of the neighboring car, telling you that he is calling ahead to the car owner, Tim. The garage attendant tells you that Tim is expecting your visit.
    Enter Tim's office.
    (Eva KW, et al. (2004).

3. Why does the GW PA program use this interview format?Research has demonstrated that the traditional interview format may not be a reliable way to assess certain non-cognitive factors that are needed to succeed in a health care profession. Typical interviews can be influenced by bias, expectations, and perspectives of the interviewers. Significant research has been conducted on the use of the MMI format across many health professions, including physician assistants. The findings have been informative and convincing; persuading the Admissions Committee to adopt this interview format for the 2012-13 admissions cycle.

How a Canadian PT school runs it.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/medrehab/media/pt_mmi_presentation.pdf

I'm not sure if GWU is going to do the acting/writing/collaborating etc breakdown but the overall format is... very interesting.

Hope that helps! And if you've gone through the process already, would love to hear about your experience (provided you can talk about it.)

At the interview they made us sign a form stating we wouldn't share any information about the MMI with others so legally no one can really get too descriptive about them.

I can say it is nothing to worry about because you can't really prepare for it. Also during the actually MMI it was not stressful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived