New PA to the National Guard, looking for advise.

I just commissioned in the Guard as a 65D (PA).  I have been looking for interesting schools and opportunities through the military. I admit.... Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, so I am looking to get some help.  I want to be a better well rounded PA who is ready for trauma, burns, OB, inpatient medicine, and extended field care.  I currently work in a local ER but am restricted in what I can do. Procedure wise I don't get to do lumbar punctures, central lines, intubate, A-lines, and chest tubes.  I have already taken the SEMPA procedure course, but I need to do them in real life. 

Has anyone heard of or done a rotation at a military hospital like Brook Army medical center and gotten to learn/do the procedures?  Is there an Army run course that trains you in the procedures for more practice?  Lastly are there any interesting schools someone could recommend?   Any info on where to look would be a huge help also.  I appreciate your time.  

12 hours ago, cc56 said:

I just commissioned in the Guard as a 65D (PA).  I have been looking for interesting schools and opportunities through the military. I admit.... Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, so I am looking to get some help.  I want to be a better well rounded PA who is ready for trauma, burns, OB, inpatient medicine, and extended field care.  I currently work in a local ER but am restricted in what I can do. Procedure wise I don't get to do lumbar punctures, central lines, intubate, A-lines, and chest tubes.  I have already taken the SEMPA procedure course, but I need to do them in real life. 

Has anyone heard of or done a rotation at a military hospital like Brook Army medical center and gotten to learn/do the procedures?  Is there an Army run course that trains you in the procedures for more practice?  Lastly are there any interesting schools someone could recommend?   Any info on where to look would be a huge help also.  I appreciate your time.  

Find out who your unit’s training NCO is. They will be the most helpful resource in terms of schools. 

This is what you’re looking for:

https://health.mil/Military-Health-Topics/Education-and-Training/DMRTI/Course-Information/Emergency-War-Surgery-Course

there’s also the Army Flight Surgeon Course but I believe you have to be a captain or higher.

Download the Deployed Medicine app. It’s free and contains the program of instruction for Combat Medica, Combat Lofesavers, Prolonged Field Care and many other courses. This can be a good starting point to getting the latest on military medicine 

Edited by 68WEMTto65DPAC

68WEMTto65DPAC...  You are the best!!  I think this would be an awesome course, sounds a bit like the SEMPA procedure course (awesome training too).  More practice is never a bad thing.  Have you ever heard of someone doing like a 2 week annual training at Brooke Army medical center to "work" there and see patients?  Through working you would get exposure to the trauma and maybe the burns, etc...     Again thanks for pointing out this course.  

You'll get lots of reps if you do a residency. If that's not an option, pick up some prn trauma shifts. Another idea is to help teach the skills courses at a local PA school to get a chance to practice your own skills. And take an ATLS course if you haven't already. 

15 hours ago, cc56 said:

68WEMTto65DPAC...  You are the best!!  I think this would be an awesome course, sounds a bit like the SEMPA procedure course (awesome training too).  More practice is never a bad thing.  Have you ever heard of someone doing like a 2 week annual training at Brooke Army medical center to "work" there and see patients?  Through working you would get exposure to the trauma and maybe the burns, etc...     Again thanks for pointing out this course.  

I have not heard of that and assume that credentialing might take too much time for a 2 week thing. But worth looking into. Perhaps you can shadow first, might be easier to arrange that and then see what opportunities become available to you as you go.

As an officer in the Guard you can pave your way to where you want to go and what you want to accomplish. Give it a try. Would be awesome for NG/Reserve to function as locum tenens or PRN in Army hospitals.