My second cycle applying, please help with any revisions. Thank you :)

Hello,

My name is Sahia Bryant. I applied to over 10 schools during the 2023-2024 cycle and have plans to apply to more this go around. I am seeking help revising my personal statement, any comments are welcomed. Also, if anyone knows of any shadowing opportunities in Houston, TX or Denver, CO please forward them to me. Thank you so much. 

Prompt: Why are you interested in being a PA?

As a physician assistant, I will have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in the lives of patients. I am motivated by the desire to provide compassionate care and to be an advocate for those in need. My interest in healthcare began early, and with the support of my community, I have pursued opportunities, such as HOSA, “Fab 50” medical school preparation courses, working as a medical scribe, volunteering at my local retirement home, and many more to gain experience and knowledge in the field.  As a Black woman, I have had firsthand experience with the inequalities present in the American healthcare system, particularly when it comes to neonatal and hospice care. On a personal level, watching my grandmother face health issues like paralysis, amputation, and diabetes gave me a look into the healthcare system and the role I want to play in it. Seeing how my family had to bear the responsibility of their sicknesses, of keeping track of symptoms and signs, and often being more invested in the discovery of the best plan of action, ignited a fire in me to become the kind of physician that is proactive, knowledgeable and invested in the healing of my patients. On a professional level, being exposed to medical and psychiatric patients has ingrained in me the value of compassion and initiative, of being a resource and a kind face for those in my care. I am drawn to the collaborative nature of the physician assistant role. Throughout college I sought opportunities to work collaboratively. As the chapter president of the Delta Gamma chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and the captain of the Texas Southern cheerleading team, I acquired the skills to lead and collaborate, something that I will bring to the physician’s assistant program. The ability to work closely with physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive, patient-centered care is integral to my desire to become a PA. It is the inclusion of different perspectives and experiences that make strides and progress in the lives of patients and in the field as a whole. Through my education and training, I hope to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to make a positive difference in the lives of those I serve, those in and outside of my community.