Courses Required For PA School

Hello,

My name is Dylan Clark. I am 29 years old and I was wondering if someone could inform me of the list of required courses necessary to be considered eligible for PA school.

I will be finishing my Associate Degree in Science this May (yes I know I need a Bachelor's Degree as well). I will be enrolling in a University to begin courses for a Bachelor's in Biology. 

I have taken Microbiology, Introduction to General Chemistry, Psychology, Human Anatomy, and Physiology 1 and 2. I have taken Statistics, English Composition 1 and 2. I have taken quite a few humanities courses and electives such as sociology and human development. Including Forensic Science as an elective. 

and 

With regards,

Dylan Clark

A semester of anatomy with a lab

A semester of physiology with a lab

2 semesters of chemistry with a lab

2 semesters of biology with a lab

9-12 credits of psychology

Some require Organic Chemistry, Genetics, Statistics, Medical Terminology all schools vary.  

Your best information would come from going to the web sites of schools you are considering attending.  There are a number of variations.  Some schools require courses such as a year of physics with lab, biochemistry, microbiology, psychology, sociology.  Also, make sure you are taking the right versions of classes.  Usually these are a majors level courses or the same ones pre-meds take.  Often the ones used as pre-reqs for nursing don't count.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There is no set list of required courses for all PA programs. The requirements vary per program. Typically, you can expect the following to be required, or strongly recommended:

- Human anatomy
- Human physiology
- 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry
- 2 semesters of general biology
- Microbiology
- 1 or 2 semesters of Organic chemistry
- 1 semester of biochemistry
- Statistics
- 1 introductory psychology
- 1 upper-level psychology
- 1 upper level human biology course
- Medical terminology course
- 1 or 2 English or writing intensive courses
- 9-12 semester hours of humanities/social sciences

If someone takes all of these courses, it would be very likely that they meet the requirements for most PA programs, but not all programs require all these courses.