PCE vs HCE

I' currently inputting information in my CASPA account and I know CASPA differentiates certain jobs and skills as HCE vs PCE. For example, CASPA lists a medical scribe as HCE not PCE. However in certain programs, they accept medical scribe as PCE and I'm only applying to the programs that accept med scribe as PCE. Would it be alright to list medical scribe as PCE on CASPA then?

On 1/15/2024 at 8:58 PM, Diggy said:

In general - PCE: hands on experience touching the patient    HCE: other experience where you're not touching the patient.

Yes I am aware of the differentiation. Where I am unclear is whether I should listen to CASPA and input the experience as HCE instead of PCE or whether I should listen to my program and input the experience as PCE instead of HCE.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:07 PM, snaeem said:

I' currently inputting information in my CASPA account and I know CASPA differentiates certain jobs and skills as HCE vs PCE. For example, CASPA lists a medical scribe as HCE not PCE. However in certain programs, they accept medical scribe as PCE and I'm only applying to the programs that accept med scribe as PCE. Would it be alright to list medical scribe as PCE on CASPA then?

Go by what the programs say not CASPA. You're applying through CASPA, not to CASPA. If the programs list scribing as PCE, then list it as PCE on your application. Now, if scribing is your only form of PCE, then only apply to programs that accept it as PCE. Programs that don't consider scribing PCE will not consider it PCE regardless of the designation you used in CASPA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 68WEMTto65DPAC said:

Go by what the programs say not CASPA. You're applying through CASPA, not to CASPA. If the programs list scribing as PCE, then list it as PCE on your application. Now, if scribing is your only form of PCE, then only apply to programs that accept it as PCE. Programs that don't consider scribing PCE will not consider it PCE regardless of the designation you used in CASPA.

okay, thank you!

On 1/17/2024 at 10:09 PM, Diggy said:

If the program accepts it as PCE and those are the only programs you're applying to, then list it as PCE. If you change your mind later and apply to programs that list it as HCE, you might run into trouble.

I see. I'll be sure to just apply to the programs that accept it as PCE then.