Choosing between two Programs. How to pick the right one

1. Marquette 

This program is my top choice and only decided maybe not after looking at option 2. They got put on probation which had me concerned but after reviewing it seems to be a minor issue and they’ll be fine. The pros here for me are it’s only 40min drive from my support system. Been going back and forth if I want my family close or if that’d be a distraction. Next a pro is the clinical rotations being in bigger cities excites me. The biggest con is I feel a little intimidated by the program. It appears to be more rigorous. Having a thesis paper, case studies during clinical, along with end of rotation exams. That’s not a bad thing but definitely a lot more work then option 2. It’s didactic year is also a lot more lecture then lab and I’m more of hands on learner.

2. Des moine

looked into this school after Marquettes probation news. After my visit I loved the students and faculty seemed very down to earth and supportive of their students. They have a DO program as well so the facility is insanely nice with great resources. The main pros here are supportive environment, great facility, a little cheaper only by (10-15k), less distractions with no friends there. The cons are the program isn’t as prestigious, shorter breaks so can’t see my family as much or at all during breaks, location isn’t the best I don’t mind living in Iowa but don’t want to stay there so clinicals there wouldn’t be great. Think i could get a few back home. 

so right now I go back and forth with should I pick the tougher school with better clinicals for me or pick a school that I felt more comfortable with in didactic and just figure out my clinicals in Iowa. 

Any advice would be super helpful 

The only goal that matters is passing PANCE, getting your license, and getting a good 1st job.

Given that, here' my take on what matters:

• Clinical rotations: they are key to your learning and to making contacts that might lead to your 1st job.  So, if the clinicals from Marquette are in the area where you hope to land your 1st job, this is a plus.
  • The "rigor" of the program may or may not help you pass PANCE.  Writing papers such as a thesis or case studies won't help you meet the overall goal.
  • Cost and debt matter, as those have to be dealt with after school.
  • You will have little time to spend with family in either program, given the amount of material you will have to learn.
  • PANCE pass rates, which schools usually share, does give you a rough estimate of the schools ability to prepare you to meet the only goal that matters.

I can't say which choice is best for you, but this is a better set of metrics.

3 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

The only goal that matters is passing PANCE, getting your license, and getting a good 1st job.

Given that, here' my take on what matters:

• Clinical rotations: they are key to your learning and to making contacts that might lead to your 1st job.  So, if the clinicals from Marquette are in the area where you hope to land your 1st job, this is a plus.
  • The "rigor" of the program may or may not help you pass PANCE.  Writing papers such as a thesis or case studies won't help you meet the overall goal.
  • Cost and debt matter, as those have to be dealt with after school.
  • You will have little time to spend with family in either program, given the amount of material you will have to learn.
  • PANCE pass rates, which schools usually share, does give you a rough estimate of the schools ability to prepare you to meet the only goal that matters.

I can't say which choice is best for you, but this is a better set of metrics.

Thank For the advice!! Seems like from your view pance is the most important which I agree but when comparing the schools it’s quite similar. Marquette has had 100% over last 10 years and des moine is 96-98% for the past 10 years so they have about one student who doesn’t pass. So although Marquette is slightly better in that regard not sure how much 2% should really matter. Both schools seem to get you where you need to be. My biggest concern is rotations in Iowa not being as good. But I did feel more comfortable with that program.