Do I have a chance? Advice please!

I graduated last spring with a BS in Biology. My cum GPA is a 3.22 and my sGPA is about the same at a 3.27. I am hoping that my score on the GRE will help my cause as I received a 162 on both the verbal and quantitative portions and a 5.0 on the writing. Also, I work full time as a nursing assistant on a med/surg floor at a hospital with about 600 hours at the time of application, but I will have around 2,000 by the time classes would be starting in the fall next year. I shadowed an orthopedic PA at the hospital where I work for 40 hours as well. Basically I'm curious of how strong people believe my application is and what I could do to improve on the weak areas? Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

I think that it is a good profile you have put together. It all really depends on where you are applying. You may not get into a school that is close to you, but you will get into a program somewhere. You might need to wait a year, but as long as you apply to schools where your stats match much of what they are posting for their classes, then you will get in.

From that I have heard, schools do not care much about how well you do on the GRE as long as you have taken it and gotten (in general) above a 155 on both verbal and quantitative and 4.5 on the essay.

Your weakest area is your GPA, but it is not a weak GPA either. If you did poorly in a lower level class, maybe you can try retaking it at a community college for a better grade.

I'm from the Boston area so I applied to a few of the schools in this area, but also applied to a few in the New York area and in Florida. It's good to hear I seem to be on the right track! I actually still have to take microbiology and will probably try and take a few other science classes to bring my GPA's up as much as is possible. Thanks for the thorough response brendan987

Archived