How to support my partner who just started PA school?

So my wife started school three weeks ago, and it has been really rough on her. She generally spends 14 hours a day in class or studying on weekdays and 10 hours a day on weekends. She hasn't even had her first major exam yet. She doesn't even have time to eat. She easily eats <1000 calories a day. 

I am pretty worried about her. I really don't think this is sustainable. I have expressed my concern to her but she says that her classmates spend the same, if not more time dedicated to school. She's too stressed to eat. 

I am happy to do all of the housework and take care of our dogs but I often travel for work and am worried about when I need to be away. 

So, does anyone have any tips or advice on how they managed their time in PA School? Are there any resources I can find to help her become a more effective studier? Or are 90-hour weeks kind of expected for PA students? 

The biggest thing you can do is support her. Make sure she knows you are OK with her spending all her time on school. Yes it is intense but it is not forever. It is just during this program. Most if not all medical professional programs are intense and require a lot of time dedication. It's just a known phenomenon that we accept as we go into this field. You can always ask her what you can do to help create a positive learning environment. Everyone is a little different so her needs may not be the same as someone else's. Just check in from time to time to ensure you are on top of it. It is great though that you are here asking. A lot of families are not as supportive. 

3 minutes ago, PCPOMERO said:

The biggest thing you can do is support her. Make sure she knows you are OK with her spending all her time on school. Yes it is intense but it is not forever. It is just during this program. Most if not all medical professional programs are intense and require a lot of time dedication. It's just a known phenomenon that we accept as we go into this field. You can always ask her what you can do to help create a positive learning environment. Everyone is a little different so her needs may not be the same as someone else's. Just check in from time to time to ensure you are on top of it. It is great though that you are here asking. A lot of families are not as supportive. 

Their are online mentor programs for time management like https://www.thepaplatform.com or https://micheleneskey.com

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like your wife is stressed about starting the new program. This is understandable as we have all been there. However, if she neglects taking care of her mental health, she will ultimately fail. You are the source of reason in her life to tell her that she need to take care of basic needs. She needs to take time to eat worth while meals, to exercise, to shower and to sleep. Memory retention is best made during sleep and when your brains has times to wander to make deeper connections with material. Planned breaks and taking care of the essentials in life is the only way to survive PA school. 

As long as she is taking care of the essentials during the week, she should plan to something fun for herself on Friday nights or Saturday nights. She will need some time to unwind!

It sounds like you are supporting her well! Clinical year will be a breath of fresh air once she makes it there! It is normal to be studying most of the day, with a few breaks!

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2023 at 7:53 AM, PASpouse4247 said:

So my wife started school three weeks ago, and it has been really rough on her. She generally spends 14 hours a day in class or studying on weekdays and 10 hours a day on weekends. She hasn't even had her first major exam yet. She doesn't even have time to eat. She easily eats <1000 calories a day. 

I am pretty worried about her. I really don't think this is sustainable. I have expressed my concern to her but she says that her classmates spend the same, if not more time dedicated to school. She's too stressed to eat. 

I am happy to do all of the housework and take care of our dogs but I often travel for work and am worried about when I need to be away. 

So, does anyone have any tips or advice on how they managed their time in PA School? Are there any resources I can find to help her become a more effective studier? Or are 90-hour weeks kind of expected for PA students? 

Yeah. You don’t stop during school sun up to sun down. Snacks and water are key to getting through the day.  I typically drink a protein drink to make sure im getting some kind of nutrition.
She needs to be studying everything she learned that day when she gets home. YouTube helps a lot! Ninja nerd is a great channel. Cram the pance has great content too. I’m not sure what her school offers. We have osmosis and Rosh review. Idk how she learns so it’s hard to say what would help her best. I have to make up mnemonics or silly stories to remember things sometimes. 
Sleep is also a major priority in my life bc when I get over tired I’m just reading the words on the page and wasting time. 

Edited by BayouCoco

On 6/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, PASpouse4247 said:

Advice: sleep when you can, eat when you can, exercise when you can, and find a group of classmates to study and hang out/decompress with. I initially survived off microwave meals, quick sandwich/salad lunches, and meals my sig other would make. I sometimes would get maybe a few hours of sleep before an exam. I remember one big pharm exam I got a 30min nap. 

90h weeks sound about right, especially in the beginning, during heavy semesters/quarters, and finals. Should get a bit better once she gets a hang of things and establishes her habits. I eventually found time to join a multiple on-campus clubs, do a rec league once a week, and work on campus part-time.

Hang in there. It can be a lot for PA students and their families. Take time to be there for each other whenever possible. Utilize school resources like counseling and faculty mentors. Living close to campus helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in agreement with all of the above advice about making time for rest, exercise, eating, etc.  Try to encourage your wife to establish healthy habits that will help her endure the long-haul 2-2.5 years of her program.  It won't do any good to burn out and/or have a mental breakdown in the first semester.

The type of people who get into PA school tend to be those who have been very high achievers in the past and are used to being top of the class in all or most things.  I think PA students have to come to a realization that everyone else in their class is like that--you're in a classroom full of very academically capable people.  But not everyone can be top of the class in PA school, and that's okay.  Your wife is not going to make 100% on every test, and that's okay.  Decent grades are what's required, not perfect grades.

Sounds like you're a great supporter of your wife's endeavors.  Thank you on her behalf!  🙂  After the first round or two of exams, she'll have a better idea of what to expect for the rest of the program.  It's hard for sure, and sacrifices are necessary, but becoming a zombie from lack of food and sleep will not serve her or her future patients well.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's important for your wife to take care of herself even during busy times. Encourage her to take breaks, eat healthy meals, and exercise when possible. You also encourage your wife to try different time management tools such as the Pomodoro Technique, time-blocking, or creating a study schedule with short breaks can help reduce stress and improve focus. It's not uncommon for PA students to have long hours and a heavy workload. I think it's better if your wife communicates with her professors and academic advisors if she's feeling overwhelmed. They may be able to provide additional resources or support.

Edited by rutherforddilla