How to increase GPA and where? Running out of options.

Hello everyone, I need some advice from people who have been in my situation.

I graduated in 2009 with a B.S. in Biology minor in Chemistry. I have a science GPA of 2.9 and overall 2.78

I want to start taking more science or pre hospital classes so I can apply to any PA school I want. I do not meet the 3.0 GPA minimum requirement.

Most Post-Bacc Pre Med certificates require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most graduate schools require a 3.0 GPA to apply, most schools don't offer a double bachelors degree.

1. I want to take upper division Biology classes.

2. I was advised not to retake classes already taken sinced I don't have grades lower than a C, so start taking more science classes or medical classes.

Within the last 2 months I have started volunteering and shadowing weekly and am taking EMT classes through UCLA.

During my college career I didn't know what I wanted to do, but now that I started volunteering I have a passion for health care but I need a chance to improve my GPA. I have called UCLA, USC, Cal State and the only option I have heard is from Cal State saying that I can audit under grad classes but I won't receive credit towards my GPA. There has to be a better solution.

I was thinking of working on a masters and then taking more undergrad classes but that seems to vague and not concentrated on health care.

The local community colleges WLAC and SMC do not offer upper division Biology or medical courses.

I want a back up plan and to be enrolled in classes building my GPA and experience if I do not get into PA school this year......

Any advice? I get a little overwhelmed with my research and options....

Thanks!!!

My first thought.... reconsider your refusal to retake classes. With a science major and minor and no proven ability to handle those basic science courses, assuming you can just jump into "upper level" classes without a problem seems like folly to me. Enrolling in a community college for a semester or two, retaking some of your "C" classes... and then if you still really think you need those other unavailable courses, transferring into a university, seems like a plan, yes? While you're in CC, you could be working and gaining the necessary experience.

You're making this too complicated. Accept that you have a multiple-step process ahead of you that could take a few years. Make sure you know how many credits it will take to bring that GPA up to a 3.0. Seriously, because it might be a LOT more than you think.

• 3 weeks later...

I retook a class I got a C+ in because it was required by the program to be a B-. I would retake any prerequisites you got a C in and take new undergrad courses that are more challenging to prove you can do it. If you haven't taken biochem or genetics, take those. Also take some psych. Some medical term should be an easy A and schools like it. Look at the recommended courses at programs as well as the required and see if you are missing something. Spanish is also an easy A series that schools often like to see.

Some courses can be taken online at Oregon State University too. I'm a student there and I know they offer genetics, biochem, anatomy lecture, organic chem all online. You can also take some psych and biomedical ethics through there. The e-campus is a bit expensive, though. It's $75 extra per credit, but then you don't have to pay out of state tuition so it would still be cheaper than paying out of state somewhere. The only thing that won't be online is the exams. Student's go to OSU all the time as post-bacc only and don't have to get in a program or declare a major. There's no reason to have to declare a major to take undergrad courses at a university level, and university level will look better and give you the option to take 300/400 level courses. If you are worried about online because you need a lecture, don't be. Most of the classes have a physical video lecture (I'm taking Biochem BB350 online and he just recorded lectures in class one term so you get everything you need as if you were there.) or they have a voice over powerpoint presentation.

Archived