Portage Learning

Hello, I currently am retaking Genetics and wanted to know if anyone has taken it before. If you have please let me know how you studied, first exam was easier and the second not so much and third ill be taking this weekend. Ive currently skimmed through the notes provided and watch the lecture videos and reviewed quizlets to get an idea of the format but still struggling. Please let me know, I greatly appreciate it.

I took genetics through portage. I found it best to watch the videos and take notes then read the modules and add to my notes. I like to re-read the module sections at least 2-3 times each and rewatch any videos as well. If there is an area I felt more confident in understanding, I would fast forward through that content. The tests questions can be confusing so if it doesn’t match the content exactly as you remember it, be sure to listen to your gut when answering. I definitely found that the courses from portage were more challenging than my in person courses. Good luck!

Skimming through the notes is a good start, but consider organizing them in a way that helps you understand and retain the information better. Create summaries, diagrams, or concept maps to visualize and connect the key concepts. Genetics often involves problem-solving and application of concepts. Practice solving genetics problems, pedigrees, and Punnett squares to strengthen your problem-solving skills. It's important to give yourself regular breaks while studying to avoid burnout. Manage your time effectively and create a study schedule that allows for sufficient rest and relaxation.

Edited by rutherforddilla

1 hour ago, rutherforddilla said:

Skimming through the notes is a good start, but consider organizing them in a way that helps you understand and retain the information better. Create summaries, diagrams, or concept maps to visualize and connect the key concepts. Genetics often involves problem-solving and application of concepts. Practice solving genetics problems, pedigrees, and Punnett squares to strengthen your problem-solving skills. It's important to give yourself regular breaks while studying to avoid burnout. Manage your time effectively and create a study schedule that allows for sufficient rest and relaxation.

Thank you, I will definitely be trying this as well. Definitely will create a study but really just wanting to get this done as this is all I am missing in my applications. 

• Like 1