2023-2024 Application Cycle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I hope everyone's application cycle is going well. I just wanted to come on here and ask if it is too late to take GRE for Penn State for the second time. I took it few weeks ago, didn't perfrom as I had expected and was just wondering if it would be ideal to take it again cause I know I can definetely improve. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, longhorncutie2022 said:

I thought Penn State did not have rolling admissions, as I just submitted my secondary app today (Caspa in July, been busy finising up my dietetics masters program ). Did I wait too late? Also this feed seems so dry, did not alot of people apply this cycle?

I applied at the end September/early October and still have not heart back. I thought the same about them not having rolling admission.

30 minutes ago, Chaoticscissortail said:

Any point in still applying y'all?  I am waitlisted at my top choice, but VERY far down, so it's unlikely.

My stats:
**CASPA cumulative GPA**: 3.60
**CASPA science GPA**:3.68 
**Upward trend (if applicable, include GPA of most recent 1-2 years of credits):** Last 80ish credit hours are a 4.0 
**GRE score (include breakdown w/ percentiles)**: 310 – Q: 164 A: 146
**Total PCE hours (include breakdown): **~17,300.
 - About 3,000 as EMT-Basic in an extremely rural 911 system, and About 14,000 a Paramedic in a busy mix of rural/ suburban 911 systems. 2,000ish as a  paramedic in the ER.
**Total HCE hours (include breakdown):** 200 - Lab Tech 
**Total volunteer hours (include breakdown):** 100 - Teaching First Aid to a Volunteer Search and Rescue Team - 160 working with refugees coming out of border patrol detention
**Shadowing hours:** 40 – Primary Care with a focus on HIV-positive pts and gender-affirming care.  24 hours PA/ Paramedic doing community health.
**Research hours:** 120 - One publication with two MDs. 
**Other notable extracurriculars and/or leadership: **
Teaching CPR and hemorrhage control to the public. 
Certified Child Car Seat Technician Hosted Child Car seat inspections for the public.
In early 2021 ran a Mass Covid-19 vaccination site in an extremely medically underserved rural community on the southern border. 

Your stats are impressive! For what it’s worth, I have been accepted and I’ve had an amazing experience with the program director, faculty and staff throughout the admissions process. I would absolutely encourage you to apply. Your GPA and GRE score are very similar to mine and we have close to the same number of shadowing and volunteer hours. You have way more PCE than I do! Of course there are other deciding factors — but based on stats alone, I’d say it’s worthwhile to shoot your shot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GemGirlPA said:

Your stats are impressive! For what it’s worth, I have been accepted and I’ve had an amazing experience with the program director, faculty and staff throughout the admissions process. I would absolutely encourage you to apply. Your GPA and GRE score are very similar to mine and we have close to the same number of shadowing and volunteer hours. You have way more PCE than I do! Of course there are other deciding factors — but based on stats alone, I’d say it’s worthwhile to shoot your shot. 

Thanks, I think I am going to give it a shot 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 11:36 PM, paaaa2014 said:

did anyone receive a rejection today?I applied late november and was very surprised i got the email because I felt like I was vert compettive applicant for their program? 

Would love any advise and insights?

That's the thing though, they get 5,000 applications and have a class of 30. I would assume a huge percentage of people they don't accept are also fairly competitive. 

Unfortunately just how it is at most PA schools these days. I wouldn't get too down over it! It's a numbers game, just focus on making your application as well-rounded as ya can and think about different ways to present yourself in your personal statement.