Parsley and cancer

My grandma was part of this sauerkraut/breast cancer study: http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Sauerkraut-consumption-may-fight-off-breast-cancer

I'm a big believer in the benefits of all fermented foods in general...pickles, kraut, kefir, kimchi, yogurt....bourbon :)

I also like a saying I heard at a Christian kindergarden. They tell the kids "If it came from God/the Earth, it's probably healthy. If it came from a factory, it's probably not."

Thanks for that tip. Very interesting.

Another I thought of was that double-boiled processed tomato products have more of the cancer-fighting lycopene than raw tomatoes. Catsup actually has the highest concentration. So I often recommend making your own tomato juice out of the canned tomato sauce ... more lycopene and easier on the pocketbook.

• 1 month later...

An interesting TED talk on angiogenesis / anti-antiogenesis by Dr. William Li of the Angiogenesis Foundation that relates to diet and the growth of tumors, etc., can be seen here:

As a nutritional tip, I suppose most are now familiar with the benefits of beet juice in lowering blood pressure. On a personal note, though I naturally have low blood pressure, I joined my husband (who had borderline high blood pressure) in a near nightly pre-dinner mini feast of a glass of freshly juiced beet, carrot, and apple not too long ago. This did have an amazing response in lowering his blood pressure (110/70) after just a month, yet I found my headaches to be growing worse in frequency and intensity though I had not yet made a correlation to the beet juice. A recent BBC report noting the nitrates in beets as responsible for lowering blood pressure struck a note with me, thus I withdrew the juice from my diet and found great relief within several weeks. Furthermore, in reducing the amounts of foods that I eat that are higher in nitrates (i.e., spinach, carrots, celery, etc.), I have found even further relief. Non-organic foods generally have a higher nitrate content than organic due to the fertilizers used, so I am inclined to buy organic when I can, especially for those foods that are naturally higher in nitrates.

blueridge- thank you for posting that video. My surrogate brother (long story) is fighting a very rare and aggressive cancer right now- with less than stellar results from the chemo regimen. His physicians keep telling him not to worry about his diet and that any changes won't likely make much of a difference. However, his trust in what they say about this is lessening since he is not seeing great results with their treatments alone. I was just talking to him about diet today and he is thinking of trying to make some changes, so I forwarded this on to him to watch.

We like to juice in our family too- but I stick with organic for juicing since you get such a concentrated version of whatever is juiced. I wish more providers would pay attention to nutrition with regards to disease.

Archived