2nd Cycle Applicant (currently waitlisted from last cycle)

Hey guys. I’m currently waitlisted at 3 schools (I applied late in the cycle so I was expecting this). I’m starting to prepare my application for next cycle but I’m not sure what to do about my personal statement and letters of rec. my personal statement is very strong from last cycle (I got interviews and waitlisted at 3/4 schools I applied to) but I’m not sure if schools want me to change it. Also, do I have to re-ask PAs, professors, etc. for letters of rec? Thanks! 

Your letters of rec do NOT carry over from one cycle to the next. You will need to ask all of them to write a letter of rec again. You will also need to resubmit your transcripts again. 

In the end, your decision to keep or rewrite your personal statement is your choice. You are assuming that you are just on the waitlist because you applied late, but you can never be certain. I would reach out and ask about how you can improve your application after they are done with their admissions for the year. Some schools allow this and others do not. I would personally always look for a way to improve your application from one cycle to the next, you want the admissions committee to believe that you spent your year improving your application and not just doing nothing. 

Hopefully you get off of the waitlist and do not have to worry about reapplying. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastudentnj2 said:

Thank you! Definitely going to look over and make some edits of my old personal statement and add some new experiences I’ve had working this whole year. 

Do you recommend asking different professors, doctors, etc. or can they be the same? 

They can be from the same people, just make sure that they are individuals that really know you and can write strong letters.

I have two pieces of advice about letters of rec. First, and most important, make sure that they're writing outstanding letters. Don't be afraid to be upfront with them and ask them to write an original, outstanding letter of recommendation for you. Second, and not as important but still important, get a letter of rec from a PA. A committee wants to see that a current PA believes you will be a strong asset to the profession.