NHSC Scholar, now PA-C, thoughts on the program

I was awarded an NHSC scholarship back in 2020, and I wanted to share my experiences.

At first, of course, I was overjoyed at the prospect of completing my PA program without debt. The reality of it- they send you a monthly stipend, a yearly deposit for books/supplies, and every single fee, tuition, etc. is covered. It is HUGE. For my program, it ended up being about 150K.

During my clinicals, I started to feel trapped. A recruiter called it "golden handcuffs" because no one can really effectively buy you out of it (you'd have to default and then you'd owe 3x the amount they paid.) I loved working at one of my clinicals, and I wanted to work there- they had been an NHSC site in the past. They were willing to let me reapply, but after looking at the details I realized they just didn't qualify anymore. 

When I graduated (December 22) I knew I had a couple of options, but it was really hard for me. I wanted the freedom to choose whatever field I wanted- I wanted to try emergency med, I loved peds. 

BUT in the end, I found a good job 20 minutes from home that meets the requirements. I felt like I was settling, to be honest. BUT I sit here debt free with a whole career, pay and great benefits. 
In the end, it was worth it.

A few pointers. If you are not tied to a location (I am because of my husband's job), then the opportunities are awesome. I got recruitment emails from some of the most beautiful places in this country!

You can do your service requirement part-time and do something else part-time. 

Loans are crazy stressful, and PA school is HARD. I don't regret signing my life away to this contract. Besides, it's just 3 years! Who knows, maybe I'll stay forever.

I'm happy to answer any questions- Good luck out there!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi! I am currently considering HPSP through the Navy. What made you pick the NHSC instead? And how did you go about applying? (Scratch this, I just found the website 🙂 ) I know for the HPSP/military scholarships you have active duty requirements while in school, are you required to do anything for the NHSC while in your program?

Edited by bananaplum
"silly" question

Bananaplum 

Honestly, I didn't know about that program, but the military was slightly out of the picture for me (so I wasn't looking there). 

While in school you have to submit quarterly verifications and transcripts- that's basically it. I had several classmates who were active duty... I got the impression their program was paid for as well, so definitely something worth looking into!

The drawback to the NHSC one is you are somewhat limited on where you can work (has to be a medical professional shortage area). 

• Like 1

Hi! Thank you for your insights.

I am starting PA school in the summer and looking forward to applying for NHSC. I am currently working/on editing my resume/CV. 

Can you please share any advice/suggestions for a new applicant like me? I understand that the scholarship is very competitive and the committee mostly uses our resume/cv, essays, and recommendation letters to determine who gets the scholarship. 

@DianafuturePA

I think the biggest factor for the NHSC is provider retention- they look for applicants who are likely to stay in medically underserved areas after their service obligation is over. I would make sure to highlight ANY and ALL work/interest/volunteering in impoverished, medically underserved, or rural communities. Ask yourself how you can show in your application that you would happily move to a HPSA and stay forever.

That's probably the biggest determining factor I can think of. Good luck!

• Like 1

I am so happy to read this! I just took the scholarship this past year and am about to start clinical rotations in May. I was really worried about the missed opportunities of finding a place I love that doesn't fit with the scholarship, but your post made me feel a lot better. I knew that would be a worry of mine when accepting it but the opportunity to pay off my school and get normal pay with no deductions for two years after graduation was too good to pass up. 

When you say you got recruitment emails from other locations, how did you get that opportunity? Was it through their portal where approved places could reach out to you? Are the only approved locations only the ones listed on HRSA location map or do you know if there is another way to find approved locations? I am still trying to get adjusted to their portals, it's a bit confusing.

Thanks in advanced for any feedback, it is greatly appreciated! 🙂  

22 hours ago, jreid said:

@DianafuturePA

I think the biggest factor for the NHSC is provider retention- they look for applicants who are likely to stay in medically underserved areas after their service obligation is over. I would make sure to highlight ANY and ALL work/interest/volunteering in impoverished, medically underserved, or rural communities. Ask yourself how you can show in your application that you would happily move to a HPSA and stay forever.

That's probably the biggest determining factor I can think of. Good luck!

Thank you

@eventuallyPA

Congratulations! Don't get me wrong, I definitely had some weeks of- "what have I done?!" feeling... but in the end, definitely worth it. 

So, I filled out the profile on the Workforce Connector tool- and it had my contact information and all. I believe when you've added that and made it public, sites can reach out to you! I didn't get a ton of emails, but I had a few. The tool is the best way I found to find sites. You can almost ignore the "job openings" part- most of the time it doesn't seem up to date. Don't be afraid to reach out to places that interest you. ALSO, if you are interested in a particular place- esp an NHSC site, try to get a clinical rotation with them!! That's how the majority of my classmates have gotten jobs in general. If you have a place you love that isn't a site- you could always apply for them (that's a whole thing though, only a short open window for applications.. may not match up with your mandatory start date, etc.)

Also- be prepared that NO ONE understands the scholarship aspect. If you talk about, they will 100% of the time start talking about the loan repayment program. 
Let me know if you have any other questions!

17 minutes ago, jreid said:

@eventuallyPA

Congratulations! Don't get me wrong, I definitely had some weeks of- "what have I done?!" feeling... but in the end, definitely worth it. 

So, I filled out the profile on the Workforce Connector tool- and it had my contact information and all. I believe when you've added that and made it public, sites can reach out to you! I didn't get a ton of emails, but I had a few. The tool is the best way I found to find sites. You can almost ignore the "job openings" part- most of the time it doesn't seem up to date. Don't be afraid to reach out to places that interest you. ALSO, if you are interested in a particular place- esp an NHSC site, try to get a clinical

with them!! That's how the majority of my classmates have gotten jobs in general. If you have a place you love that isn't a site- you could always apply for them (that's a whole thing though, only a short open window for applications.. may not match up with your mandatory start date, etc.)

Also- be prepared that NO ONE understands the scholarship aspect. If you talk about, they will 100% of the time start talking about the loan repayment program. 
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Wow thank you so so much!!!! That was super helpful. I am so glad you made this post. One other girl in my class has the scholarship as well and we're both just going with the flow unsure of what to do, so you really helped out. Our school program is still pretty new to working with the NHSC so there's been a little lack of communication. Thankfully we have a girl in the year above who has the scholarship as well and she's been a big help with figuring out the basics. She is currently doing some rotations at locations as well, so I will be sure to look into how she went about doing that!

Since we are all still in school though its been a bit of "I am not sure what's next but we'll figure it out eventually" type of mood. I am glad to have found your post and am so grateful for your advice!! I'll be sure to save this feed so if I can think of any questions in the future I'll be sure to reach out! 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Cathyr66

Sorry I am just seeing this!

I don't think it is ever too early to start making connections. As for actual applications- a lot of systems will kick and application out just because you haven't completed the program or taken the PANCE yet. You could go ahead and apply to places you are interested in though- just maybe make sure you are contacting a human instead of a computer. I had one office that wanted to hire me before I had even graduated and would let me work as a "student worker" where they would just check in with every patient... before my licensing or anything (they were desperate).

On 1/31/2023 at 1:33 PM, DianafuturePA said:

Hi! Thank you for your insights.

I am starting PA school in the summer and looking forward to applying for NHSC. I am currently working/on editing my resume/CV. 

Can you please share any advice/suggestions for a new applicant like me? I understand that the scholarship is very competitive and the committee mostly uses our resume/cv, essays, and recommendation letters to determine who gets the scholarship. 

Adding my 2 cents here: it is mainly competitive because it takes a lot of work to do the application correctly. But if you get it submitted on time and you have all of the qualifications, there’s a 90% chance you get the scholarship. That’s been the experience of the last few years’ applicants. So, don’t fret!

• 1 month later...

@jreid 

Hi, thanks for providing insight/ foresight into a stepwise process.

From what I've read so far:

No need in applying until I pass the PANCE

workforce job connector listings are non representative of actual openings?

It's going to be worth it.

My questions:

1)  How did you negotiate your contract to meet repayment criteria/guidelines: (weeks/ hours / direct pt care hours, ect)?

2)  I was told to try and remove any "specialty" from my HRSA profile to prevent from being pigeon holed into that specialty upon graduation?

3)  I am 100% mobile and am going to cherry-pick location upon upon graduation (pay / location), how would you capitalize / navigate this process? (ex. waiting to apply for state licensure after job offer?)

4)  It seems as you pick top 3 practice states and an "advisor" assist in job attainment? Plz speak on the actual process. 

Thanks for your time!!

• 11 months later...
On 3/11/2024 at 3:41 PM, FuturePA232 said:
Hi all! I was recently accepted to a program and I'm very interested in applying for the NHSC scholarship.

My concern is that they require an academic LOR, but I graduated undergrad more than a handful of years ago, and I’m not sure how many professors would remember me. (And my academic advisor from that school recently retired!) More recently, I've taken prereq courses, but I didn't have any "strong" relationships with those professors as they were one-off night courses for the most part. My PA program starts in August 2024, so I assume that I won't be able to ask them for a letter either 😅

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has been in this position. I was hoping to get some advice on what others have done? 🙂 Thank you!

I am in the same exact boat and wondering the same exact thing. Hopefully someone gives us some insight!