Reapplying earlier for better chances?

Hey everyone! 

I applied this current cycle and haven’t heard back from many schools.. I know some are still reviewing but I still wanted to keep my mind open about having to reapply this coming April. 

I feel like the main factor which could have hurt my chances at schools was applying later in the cycle rather than in the spring/summer once the portal opened. I applied late fall. I know this doesn’t take me out of the running completely but it’s definitely something I realized. 

If I were to reapply and do so earlier this next upcoming cycle, is adding something completely new to my application still necessary? I know I will definitely continue to upkeep my clinical and volunteering hours and potentially shadowing hours too, but will this be enough? My main goal is to apply earlier to give myself a better chance especially since I know some programs do rolling admissions, and I heard from a lot of applicants that they started interviewing in the summer and fall itself. 

Thanks for any feedback and good luck to everyone! 

Yes, applying earlier will definitely help, especially for schools that use rolling admissions (meaning they review applications and make interview offers as they get them; they don't wait until after the deadline to begin reviewing material).

As far as adding something new, the short is yes. If you don't get interviews this cycle, you should not plan on reapplying with the exact same application. You will want to show schools how you've grown and strengthened your application since the previous cycle.

Additional hours will certainly help. You should also plan to rework your personal statements. Even if schools don't offer you an interview it doesn't mean that they haven't read your application. Other things to consider would be checking to ensure that your references are offering top notch LORs, highlighting any new skills or responsibility at work, and retaking classes you didn't do well in (Cs) or taking additional upper level courses if need to boost your GPA.

Good luck!