Applying with low GPA

Hello! I just graduated last year in December of 2022 as a Biology major and I'm planning to apply this year with all my prerequisites complete. Right now, I'm still taking 2 extra classes at CC in this spring semester and 1 more medical terminology course in the summer. I also just opened my CASPA account. However, my overall GPA is only ~3.0 (barely meeting the minimum) without retaking any classes like some people did and I will have ~1000 PCE hours as an MA + 1 letter of recommendation by the end of this year, ~400 volunteer hours with COPE Health Scholar and possibly some hours of shadowing as well. I will take the GRE sometime in the summer or by fall at the latest. Do you think I have a chance in at least 1 school for an interview? Any suggestion will be appreciated, thank you!

Comment

Send

Edited by caseywin

Hi! Are you planning on applying to non rolling schools? The 2023-2024 cycle opens up in April and a lot of schools have fall deadlines/are rolling so the sooner you apply the better for those programs. So to meet those deadlines you'd need your pre reqs done (if you want them to apply to your GPA),3 letters of rec & GRE taken (you could also choose to apply to schools that don't require the GRE. 1,000 hours isn't a lot so if you can get more hours that would be beneficial.

• Upvote 1

It is certainly possible that you'll get an interview. But with a 3.0 GPA you will definitely need a stand out application in other ways. A few questions to better gauge your odds:

1. What is your SCIENCE gpa? Your cumulative gpa is only part of the picture. If you kicked butt and have a higher science total you will be in better shape. If your science gpa is similarly a 3.0 or lower, that may hold you back.
2. What grades and classes are contributing to your lower gpa? Did you take a really hard calculus class that brought you down or are the grades in your science courses the main driver? Schools want to see you getting As and high Bs in the prerequisite classes. A lone C isn't going to kill you, but if your science performance is lower that will hurt your chances.
3. How was your performance in upper level biology courses and in your most recent classes? An upward trend can benefit you as schools evaluate your predicted performance in masters-level classes.
4. Do you have a strong personal statement essay prepared? Do you have additional writers for your recommendations and are they going to give you stellar reviews? Don't only focus on the numbers! Your written material matters.
5. What is your plan if you end having to reapply? Will you retake courses you got Cs in? Will you continue working as an MA? Would you be able to take additional classes to increase your gpa? Having an idea of this will help you as you continue to work on your application and will prevent you from missing out on deadlines tor register for classes if you do need to spend more time on building your gpa.

It's also not clear from your original message if you'll have 1,000 hours by the time you apply this summer or if you mean the end of 2023. If you won't have your 1,000 hours until December 2023, you will likely be a stronger applicant NEXT cycle. You would then apply in Summer 2024, interview fall/winter 2024, and start Summer 2025 (roughly, not all schools have summer start dates). This timeline would give you even more time (2-3 semesters!) to increase your gpa and take/retake additional classes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the insight info and yes, I did better in my upper level biology courses compare to lower division so, my grades have a trend of increasing and doing better throughout my undergrad. My overall is 3.0 but my science I think is also around there. Regard to my original message, I will have 1000+ PCE hours by the end of this year so, most likely, I will apply next cycle of 2024. Thus, I can take few more extra courses to raise my GPA in 2-3 more semesters as well as retake courses that I got Cs in. I will have volunteer hours ~300 and shadowing hours as well and for sure that I will have 3 LEC (1 from professor, 1 from health professional and 1 from the PA that I shadow). Although, I'm still planning on whether to take the GRE or not. 

Edited by caseywin

On 1/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, VarsityMed said:

It is certainly possible that you'll get an interview. But with a 3.0 GPA you will definitely need a stand out application in other ways. A few questions to better gauge your odds:

1. What is your SCIENCE gpa? Your cumulative gpa is only part of the picture. If you kicked butt and have a higher science total you will be in better shape. If your science gpa is similarly a 3.0 or lower, that may hold you back.
2. What grades and classes are contributing to your lower gpa? Did you take a really hard calculus class that brought you down or are the grades in your science courses the main driver? Schools want to see you getting As and high Bs in the prerequisite classes. A lone C isn't going to kill you, but if your science performance is lower that will hurt your chances.
3. How was your performance in upper level biology courses and in your most recent classes? An upward trend can benefit you as schools evaluate your predicted performance in masters-level classes.
4. Do you have a strong personal statement essay prepared? Do you have additional writers for your recommendations and are they going to give you stellar reviews? Don't only focus on the numbers! Your written material matters.
5. What is your plan if you end having to reapply? Will you retake courses you got Cs in? Will you continue working as an MA? Would you be able to take additional classes to increase your gpa? Having an idea of this will help you as you continue to work on your application and will prevent you from missing out on deadlines tor register for classes if you do need to spend more time on building your gpa.

It's also not clear from your original message if you'll have 1,000 hours by the time you apply this summer or if you mean the end of 2023. If you won't have your 1,000 hours until December 2023, you will likely be a stronger applicant NEXT cycle. You would then apply in Summer 2024, interview fall/winter 2024, and start Summer 2025 (roughly, not all schools have summer start dates). This timeline would give you even more time (2-3 semesters!) to increase your gpa and take/retake additional classes.

This is really good advice that I echo, especially to put a lot more emphasis into your personal statement and excellent letters of recommendation. Remember that the admissions counselors, in many cases, filter through all the applications with a basic rubric. If your numbers get through the first pass, then your LORs and personal statement are what really makes you stand out. So invest the time, the criticism, the openness and possibly the money (for PS advice) into getting these done very very well.