"What are my chances?" ...or, rather, now MEDEX may be a possibility...

The plan is for me to apply to whatever PA school the Army stations us near, as I am unwilling to split our family for 2+ years, if it can be avoided. I realize this is an unorthodox way to pick a school. There is a decent possibility that DH (active duty) may have the option to be stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord after this overseas tour is done. Of course, I would love to go to MEDEX, but I hadn't even considered it before because we have no family or ties west of Kansas. But, if the Army sends us there...

I need to know whether I even stand a fighting chance at getting into MEDEX. I know the school is geared toward people with lots of HCE, and I am certainly willing to work for a year or so to increase mine. But I won't have 7+ years. Here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA (per CASPA): 3.42

Science GPA: 3.55

Prereq GPA: 3.6

Postbacc GPA: 4.0

HCE hours: Approx. 2,700 currently; would increase to 4,700 before applying to MEDEX. (Actually, I currently have 3,700, but 1,000 of that is not direct patient contact per MEDEX's definition)

Volunteer hours: Approx. 1,200; 1,000 of that is healthcare-related (search and rescue/disaster relief)

I am also considering pursuing a graduate certificate in emerging and infectious diseases.

The question is, does anybody make it into MEDEX's program near the 4,000 HCE hours minimum? I'm not a meet-the-minimum-only kind of person, but I'm also ready to get into school and finish. Would I just be foolish to even try MEDEX?

The short answer is "yes." People with your stats do make it into MEDEX. Your rationale for going to MEDEX is not atypical; it works fairly well. The only hitch would be if your husband gets re-deployed while you're a student in the program. I would advise you to rack up that 4,700 hours of HCE and apply. I would say you've got a shot.

Andrew

Archived