Advice

Hi!

I”m writing as a sophomore in college. Out of high school I did not know what I wanted to do, but I felt the pressure of going to college right away. This led me to go to two different schools prior to the one I am at (and will stay at). The only thing I knew is that I wanted to be in the sciences. My father passed away when I was 14 and in high school I did not have a good home life with my mom. I won’t get into too much detail, but it definitely led me to not do my best in high school. When covid hit, I was in my second semester of college and everything went online with little to no instruction and no zoom calls. I gave up and let myself fail all of my classes, which to this day is my biggest regret. I then transferred to a school in another state for a semester because I was interested in marine biology, but everything remained online. I came to the realization that it would be easier to stay local, so I transferred AGAIN to the college I’m at currently. I’m an animal behavior major because I thought that was what I wanted. After a few classes I realized the only thing that truly interests me is anatomy and physiology. I do not care for ecology, which is basically my major. Since learning about my schools PA program, I have never felt more right about a career.  Right now I am taking my prerequisites for the PA program and additional classes for my major. My main reason for coming on here is because I feel bad that I’m not a  biology major like most others wanting to go into healthcare. I also started everything late and I have no experience working with patients. I took gen chem 1 this semester and I’m likely going to end with a B-, so I’m still learning how to do well in my science classes. I just feel like I haven’t done things the “traditional” way and that will ruin my chances. I don’t want to feel bad about it anymore and was sort of hoping to see if anyone has similar experiences or can give any advice. Thank you!

Edited by Laylac
Touch ups

Hi @Laylac, I totally understand why you would be feeling behind on this whole PA school thing but fret not.  You have plenty of time to get all the things you need done. I would possibly focus on a few things at a time starting out because it can get very overwhelming very fast. Remember, you can always take a gap year or two to really nail everything, that is what I am doing, and I am so so glad I did. Also, it is a common thing that many other Pre-PA students do. The average age of a lot of PA student matriculates is around 24-25 meaning that they either took gap years or had a complete career change!

I didn't know I wanted to be a PA until the 2nd semester of my sophomore year in undergrad and the transition seemed so overwhelming! However, I took my time, focused on my classes first to get good grades, and worked to get patient care hours in the summers. Take it one semester at a time and focus on what is in front of you. You got this!

1. Everyone has a different story. Everyone has a different why and time of learning they want to be a PA. Type A-personalities are phenomenal at minimizing the things that make us different because there is a "right pathway" but there isn't one for PA. You'll meet people who were accountants, engineers, kinesiologists, biologists, and beyond. Your background makes you special and adds value to your application. 

2. I transferred 3 times. I had 3 different majors. I graduated after 5 years in college. I had also worked through school and started to collect PCE after my Junior year. I graduated with a kinesiology degree. Not normal, but its my story. And I have to tell you, it has gotten me multiple interviews and acceptances. 

3. Write a good PS. Tell your story. Book by Dr. Grey about writing personal statements, fantastic tool. Pre-med podcast by him as well. Wealth of information for writing experiences and PS. 

4. Run your route. Don't try to be like everyone else because that's what everyone else is doing. 

• Like 1