Admissions Meeting

Hi there! 

I think taking this initiative is a great first step! I did this and felt like it really helped my chances. I asked about their attrition rates, and specific policies or things in place to help retain students and make them successful PA's. Even though students are typically stretched for time, what extracurricular activities are there for students or what have you heard that students find helpful? What level of interaction will students have with other students in different healthcare areas like MD, PT, nutrition, etc.? Volunteering, or interaction with the community? Is there an emphasis on cultural competency? This is pretty much the list I followed. 

Also try to align yourself with the school's values and mission and sprinkle words into the conversation that show you would be a good fit. 

Hope this helps! 

Many programs also find value in training PAs who plan to stay and work in the area. I know it feels a million miles away now, but asking longer-term questions about rotations and later career opportunities could also make you look invested in the community! Some examples off the top of my head:

- From what you've seen, how have previous cohorts of students found themselves in the job market upon graduating?

- Does the school offer any networking opportunities during school to help build connections for future job opportunities?

- How many students tend to stay/ work in the community after graduating?

Some other things I think are valuable to ask that I didn't think about until after I was already in my program:

- How are rotations determined? (selected and scheduled by the staff, preference system, student-organized, etc.)

- Do you know of any plans for large changes or improvements to the program structure in the near future?  

- Does the school provide opportunities for extracurricular activities? If so, what have previous PA students enjoyed joining or found to be beneficial?

- Is there an opportunity for inter-professional interaction and collaboration during the program? (AKA How often will you see, work with, or interact with students for other health professions)

I also believe you would seem very thoughtful if you asked something about how they handled the COVID-19 pandemic, how the program might have changed because of it, and/or how they plan to move forward now.

Hope at least some of this helps! Good luck!