I want to do this :)

...but how do I go about this, exactly? It seems like a whole lot of things have to be done, and it doesn't seem as linear as most things! It's pretty different.

I'm currently attending Community College, I'm 19 - and this is my third semester here. I haven't taken any prerequisites yet because I've been taking remedial math courses, for one, (but I'm doing MUCH better in Math, and kind of beginning to like it..) also, as I've spent the last year just trying to find some sort of direction on what I want to do. I was aiming for my BS, but didn't quite have an idea on what I wanted to major in. So my questions:

1.) How would I go about obtaining my BS while, at the same time, going to school for something that would allow me to obtain hands-on HCE? I figured it would be odd to be registered at a University when I eventually transfer, while going to Kaplan (or something) to obtain a Medical Assistant certification (for example).

2.) Ideal BS? I've heard there's a wide range of people w/ different majors that apply to PA school, but I'd imagine it would be counter-intuitive to take, say, take an Accounting major course load while obtaining prereqs for PA school.

3.) Any type of advice you can give me will be worth a bucket of gold, and I would extremely appreciate it.

Step 1. Figure out WHY you want to be a PA and not some other equally cool medical gig. There are SOOO many careers in medicine...why this one? Having that answer on hand will help you when 1. You get tired and discouraged. 2. You fill out PA school applications 3. You attend an interview for school.

Step 2. Figure out WHY you don't want to go to med school. This will help you when you start to second guess your decision.

Step 3. Read this web forum. Your set of questions has been answered a million times over.

Archived