Relocation Issue to PA Programs - Advice please!

Hello everyone!

I am very excited as I am about to apply to a few PA programs here in Texas starting in April 2023. I have been working my butt off to keep my GPA high of 3.6 accumulative and 3.78 science and will be taking the GRE in January. I am an older student going in at the age of 27. The advantage I have is that I have about 10 years of experience in medicine. Four of those years were MA experience in a Family Medicine/Urgent Care clinic (the clinic had both) and six years as an EEG Technician in clinics, hospitals, and homes. I have plenty of letters of recs from physicians and PAs I worked with and have accumulated around 20k hours of PCE/HCE experience, and about 200 hours of shadowing.

What is concerning me is that I have a wife and a family that I have built here in Austin, Texas, and relocating would be extremely difficult. I understand where my priorities lie with school and it is just for a short time but I am really trying to stay local as best as possible. The two programs that I am interested in are Mary-Hardin Baylor in Waco and the brand new PA program through South University - Austin. South University will have its first PA student this upcoming January 2023. However, they still have yet to acquire their board accreditation for the program. For an applicant like myself, am I taking a huge risk by only applying to two programs which could potentially lead to only one if SU doesn't get their accreditation?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello! While I don’t necessarily have any advice on relocation - I did want to let you know that SU does now have provisional accreditation. I’m in their inaugural cohort so they let us know when they got their accreditation and it’s also posted on their site now as well. Good luck this coming cycle!