Feeling discouraged!!!!

Hey guys! I applied to 10 programs in mid June and have only heard back from one school so far and it was a rejection. I expected it from that school so I wasn’t too heart broken. Over half of the programs I have applied to have sent out interview invites and I haven’t received one yet. Luckily the programs are all rolling admissions so I’m hoping for better luck in the next round(s). I’m just wondering if anyone is in the same boat or knows of similar stories from the past where they didn’t get invites until the second or third round of interviews and still got accepted. Does anyone know who typically gets interview invites in the subsequent rounds? Is it the people that applied later like July/august or people that weren’t the program’s top picks earlier on but may have applied in may/June? I hope this makes sense! I’d love some insight even if they are just theories of what you think programs do lol!!

I think aside from your stats, I did read that you had to look good on paper too. I don't know what your stats are but I'll mention some things we can miss.

Did you get the right people to write you a letter of recommendation?

Did you get a PA or someone acknowledge-able to read your personal statement/supplemental essays?

Did you make sure you met the requirements (i.e. sciences classes do have an expiration date)?

This is all I can think of. As of now, you are playing the waiting game. I have read the timeline to hear back from schools can vary from a few months up to until school starts. In the meantime do keep yourself busy and plan on what you can do to make yourself a better applicant next time. If you do end up hearing back from schools with a rejection, you can reach out and ask what you can do to improve your application.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:07 PM, Kay2022 said:

Hey guys! I applied to 10 programs in mid June and have only heard back from one school so far and it was a rejection. I expected it from that school so I wasn’t too heart broken. Over half of the programs I have applied to have sent out interview invites and I haven’t received one yet. Luckily the programs are all rolling admissions so I’m hoping for better luck in the next round(s). I’m just wondering if anyone is in the same boat or knows of similar stories from the past where they didn’t get invites until the second or third round of interviews and still got accepted. Does anyone know who typically gets interview invites in the subsequent rounds? Is it the people that applied later like July/august or people that weren’t the program’s top picks earlier on but may have applied in may/June? I hope this makes sense! I’d love some insight even if they are just theories of what you think programs do lol!!

Hi! I know it's nerve-racking waiting to hear back from schools, but I would try to be optimistic and focus on the things you can control (staying busy, researching/practicing interview questions, doing things you enjoy, etc). Make sure you have submitted everything and if you are still concerned, it wouldn't hurt to send a nice email to each of the programs to verify they received everything. If you haven't been immediately rejected from schools, then there is still a chance for you! I know a good number of my classmates were invited for an interview after the first round of interviews (around Dec-Feb time), were put on the waitlist, and then were ultimately accepted into the program. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, at1313 said:

Hi! I know it's nerve-racking waiting to hear back from schools, but I would try to be optimistic and focus on the things you can control (staying busy, researching/practicing interview questions, doing things you enjoy, etc). Make sure you have submitted everything and if you are still concerned, it wouldn't hurt to send a nice email to each of the programs to verify they received everything. If you haven't been immediately rejected from schools, then there is still a chance for you! I know a good number of my classmates were invited for an interview after the first round of interviews (around Dec-Feb time), were put on the waitlist, and then were ultimately accepted into the program. 🙂 

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate your optimism! I feel more relieved😊

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, laurie829311 said:

I think aside from your stats, I did read that you had to look good on paper too. I don't know what your stats are but I'll mention some things we can miss.

Did you get the right people to write you a letter of recommendation?

Did you get a PA or someone acknowledge-able to read your personal statement/supplemental essays?

Did you make sure you met the requirements (i.e. sciences classes do have an expiration date)?

This is all I can think of. As of now, you are playing the waiting game. I have read the timeline to hear back from schools can vary from a few months up to until school starts. In the meantime do keep yourself busy and plan on what you can do to make yourself a better applicant next time. If you do end up hearing back from schools with a rejection, you can reach out and ask what you can do to improve your application.

Thank you for your suggestions! It’s so crazy how different each person’s timeline can be. I appreciate your feedback!